GDFB Arming Jacket

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

wembly6

GDFB Arming Jacket

Postby wembly6 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:06 pm

I was wondering if anyone has the GDFB arming jacket (the one with the arming points running down the arms), and their opinion on it. How thick is the padding? Is it thick enough to be used on its own and still offer a reasonable level of protection?
I am intending to get a breastplate, arms, and possibly mail skirt to go with it at some point, but up until then I would probably need to use it on its own.
Also, how good is the construction, and wear and tear?

GDFBJack.jpg
GDFB Jack

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Mark

wulfenganck

Re: GDFB Arming Jacket

Postby wulfenganck » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:47 am

wembly6 wrote:I was wondering if anyone has the GDFB arming jacket (the one with the arming points running down the arms), and their opinion on it. How thick is the padding? Is it thick enough to be used on its own and still offer a reasonable level of protection?
I am intending to get a breastplate, arms, and possibly mail skirt to go with it at some point, but up until then I would probably need to use it on its own.
Also, how good is the construction, and wear and tear?

GDFBJack.jpg

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Mark

In short: the GDFB may be a quality product, but an arming doublet is made for wearing armour. It's not a jack - no need for extensive padding. Therefore it will NOT work as a stand-alone-armour. The term "arming jack" is misleading.

The main problem with a doublet from the pell will be that it's not exactly measured for your behalf. Therefore it will be not comfortable to wear, problem number one will be that the arm-shoulder junction will probably not sit correctly, problem number two will be that the arm itself may be to long or to short and that the points will not be placed exactly there, where you need them to connect your armour.....By the way, where to attach the leg-armour on that GDFB-arming doublet.
Medieval clothing is sirprisingly efficient - but only if you use a correct reproduction!

Regards
Wolfgang

Laffin Jon Terris

Postby Laffin Jon Terris » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:49 am

I have seen a couple of these close-up while sorting armour issues for people.

They seem to be of ok quality but as Wulfenganck has said the fit is not quite right.

The sleeves are too wide at the cuff which will cause problems with full vambraces, the points on the arms were in the wrong places (at least in two cases I have seen) meaning that the arms will hang incorrectly and the sleeve/body joint is (as usual) a modern pattern causing problems with movement in full harness.

The padding is quite thick on this garment hich means that you may* be ok without armour but you may also have issues with excess bulk if worn with armour.

JonT

*That is up to you, don't come running to me if you get hurt.

Knowing is only half the battle.

wembly6

Postby wembly6 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Decided to go for a properly made jack, and will get a custom made arming doublet at a later date.
Cheers,
Mark

Return to “Costumes”