Linen... to wash or not to wash...

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Strickland

Linen... to wash or not to wash...

Postby Strickland » Tue May 18, 2010 2:14 pm

Well, 'tis my question, to wash or not to wash? I have a load of unbleached linen which I'd like to use for some nice linings and the like, but having only used cotton/calico in the past Im am unfamiliar with its properties. I'd like to avoid any silliness with shrinkage after Ive made things up so is pre-washing advisable? Many thanks for any good advice from the more knowing!

Cheers!

Neil (luddite)

Its not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years. Nullum est coclear!!!

Badger

Re: Linen... to wash or not to wash...

Postby Badger » Tue May 18, 2010 2:19 pm

Have to vote for washing it first.
Skin tight shirts dont look good on me :roll:

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue May 18, 2010 2:26 pm

wash it

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue May 18, 2010 2:39 pm

yep, its always a good idea to wash any washable fabrics before working with them. Personally, I like to prewash cotton and linen one wash hotter than I anticiapte laundering them later, that should sort out any possible shrinkage before you cut and sew it.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue May 18, 2010 4:00 pm

Wot she sed, plus, I usually tumble dry mine on hot- to really challenge it (0ften other members of my family don't look when they fish something out of the basket, and stick it in to tumble, so one of my coifs could have ended up in the leg of their jeans, pre tumble dried ones are just fine afterwards, though occasionally a nasty chewing gum grey for the next few washes)

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Tue May 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Wouldn't go with the tumble drier as this is not good for the linen fibre (from experience, the linen I have tumble dried has a shorter life span) but would definitely recommend washing at 90C before use, then hang on the line until only slightly damp and press. If you have got more than a couple of metres it is worth cadging an empty fabric roll from a local shop and getting someone to help you roll it on as this will keep it nice and flat. If you have to fold it to store then you will need to re-press it before use.

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Strickland

Postby Strickland » Tue May 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Thank you folks, more information than I anticipated!! Wash it I shall, and the rolling suggestion sounds good to me, though I do press everything anyway.
I shall err on the side of caution for the tumble drying, especially as we have just fitted a 'dryer bar' to ours, a little gadget from over the pond which is basically Bounce on a stick that lasts 3 months!
Thank you all very much!!

Cheers!

Neil (suitably educated) :thumbup:

Its not the years in your life that count, but the life in your years. Nullum est coclear!!!

janes-wardrobe

Postby janes-wardrobe » Thu May 20, 2010 4:17 pm

I'd go with Lucy the Tudor - that way if anything does get tumbled by mistake any possible shrinkage has usually been done. I often tumble dry my linen and so long as you pull it out damp and iron it straight away it's fine. I haven't had problems with it not lasting well from being tumbled.

currently available for costume and corset commissions mail me on janes.wardrobe@gmail.com
http://janes-wardrobe.com/ - bientôt en français

Return to “Costumes”