Reliable sources that don't break the bank

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Grania

Reliable sources that don't break the bank

Postby Grania » Sat May 08, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi folks

I'm looking around for some decent reliable sources for 18th Century womens clothing. I've been given a few recommendations, but I just can't seem to find the right things. Does anyone know of anywhere I can find such things?

I'm also in need of a suitable set of stays, as I've been borrowing someone else's spare pair and they don't fit me too well. Not being the best with a needle I could really do with having them made, but there are lots of people on the internet and I'm not keen to risk choosing the wrong people. Also working on a relatively limited budget - not tooooo limited, but I am a student so I need to be a bit care. Same goes for shoes if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks. Sorry for all the fishing for information.
Grania

"...I hear your voice calling, through the silence of time..."

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

lidimy
Post Knight

Re: Reliable sources that don't break the bank

Postby lidimy » Sat May 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Grania wrote:Hi folks

I'm looking around for some decent reliable sources for 18th Century womens clothing. I've been given a few recommendations, but I just can't seem to find the right things. Does anyone know of anywhere I can find such things?

I'm also in need of a suitable set of stays, as I've been borrowing someone else's spare pair and they don't fit me too well. Not being the best with a needle I could really do with having them made, but there are lots of people on the internet and I'm not keen to risk choosing the wrong people. Also working on a relatively limited budget - not tooooo limited, but I am a student so I need to be a bit care. Same goes for shoes if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks. Sorry for all the fishing for information.
Grania

Would be interested to follow this thread...

do you mean sources as in people who produce 18thC clothes to sell, picture or book sources? If the latter, I just got 'The Dress of the People' by J. Styles out of my uni library, which as well as having some great pictures had a chapter on the rise of cotton which cleared up some questions I had lingering :D Also marquise.de is my personal favourite primary research tool, lots of pictures of all sorts (:

I've been fortunate enough to have Ian Chipperfield ('The Staymaker' on t'internet) to assist me with my stays at a subsidised rate though I believe he otherwise charges about £300 pair. Never the less, they're great quality... you could consider emailing him via his website if you have any stay specific questions?

What status are you hoping to represent? (:

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Grania

Postby Grania » Sat May 08, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi :)

I'm looking for a variety really. With most clothes my Mum and I will try and make them ourselves, so we're just after decent patterns, but we're neither of us that confident with our skills, and I get the impression that stays is something where it's important to get it absolutely right. Shoes too, as they're the one thing none of the others in my group can lend me. Those two items are my top priority. So for most things I'm after patterns, for those I'm after people who sell, hopefully at a respectable price.

As for status the group's asked me to start off getting some basic lower class kit of my own, then I'm hoping to work my way up. For now I'm borrowing most things, but as I said, there are a few essentials I need. The set of stays I borrowed recently had a fault in the pattern, and as they also didn't fit me too well the boning dug into my back...not good!

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sat May 08, 2010 10:43 pm

*waves*

Ooh which group do you plan to join? I've been meaning to do 18thC for ages but I'm finding it really hard balancing hobby with need for money (weekend job ;( ) and uni work :(

Can't help with patterns I'm afraid as I make my own... but for construction tips you could see if this is helpful... http://brocadegoddess.wordpress.com/about/

As for shoes, well at TORM I was looking at Kevin Garlick but I don't know whether there's much cheaper than that on the market!

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Sat May 08, 2010 11:41 pm

Tod on here does very nice shoes at very good prices
http://www.re-enactment-shoes.co.uk/

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Grania

Postby Grania » Sun May 09, 2010 5:48 pm

:D Thanks folks, I'm just soooo glad I joined this forum :D

(Shaun Davey "Hear Me")

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Sun May 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Jane Ramsey at Janes Wardrobe creates some very fine Stays and associated clothing. Worth looking into!!

http://www.janes-wardrobe.com

Official Thumb biter.

Angie

Postby Angie » Mon May 10, 2010 12:29 pm

For a reasonable stop gap, Anne Laverick makes off the peg corsets that, if I recall are not bank breakers. I don't think she has a web site but I'm sure you could contact her from the TORM web site.

I would definatley reccomend cloak and dagger'd for bespoke though.

What group are you with? Is there some one with in the group who could either make the corset or give you a hand.

I may be a bit biased when it comes to shoes as Tod (mentioned above) is my boyfriend but his shoes are very affordable and are very comfortable.

There was a young woman from Wantage, to whom the town clerk took advantage,Said the Borough surveyor "Indeed you must pay 'er, you've totally altered her frontage"

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Mon May 10, 2010 2:15 pm

Anne's C17th stay works OK on a child for C18th, but becuase of the very specific shape required by the period, (long waisted and straight-conical) they wouldn't work on an adult. Don't try a victorian / natural curve orset under C18th either as it looks very odd.

I have had a pair of stays made by Jane at Jane's wardrobe and I can recommend them. They are very reasonably priced for the amount of work that goes into them. She also had a go at the Simplicity or Butterick C18th stays pattern and wouldn't touch it again with a barge-pole.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Return to “Costumes”