Planning an Edwardian outfit- inspiration needed

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sally
Post Knight

Planning an Edwardian outfit- inspiration needed

Postby sally » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:46 pm

On my to-do list for this year is an Edwardian outfit to wear when demonstrating my antique sock machines. However, I'm having trouble deciding what would be the most useful.

I'm after something lower middle class to reflect the social group that most often had the sock machines, and it can be anything from about 1910 (date of the machine I'm most likely to haul to events with me) onwards. I want it to be practical, after all I'll usually be sat in a field with this, but beyond that I'm open to ideas.

I'm wondering if I'll get more mileage though out of something a few years later so that I can do start of WW1 events?
Any ideas, suggestions, inspiring photos etc :D

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Re: Planning an Edwardian outfit- inspiration needed

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:16 pm

I just wrote a long reply and the computer ate it. Easiest is to come and sit on my stairs, look at the books, then check out fabric in Shepherds Bush. However, failing that, try the reference books on the "Recommended Reading" list by Janet Arnold, Norah Waugh and Nancy Bradfield. Also, Jean Hunnisett. These all have information about shapes. Skirt/shirt combinations seem to be popular among all classes at this period. Stays/corsets would be worn by most women - I have a full size 1911 pattern I could trace for you - in a couple of weeks as I will be away soon.

Suzi

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 pm

If it's inspiration you need, how about this painting ("The Visit") by George Clausen, RA, exhibited at the Leicester Galleries in London in 1909. It shows his elder daughter Meg deep in conversation with a visiting friend; the setting is the Clausen's house in Carlton Hill, London, a truly middle class area:

thevisit.jpg

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:21 pm

Ooh Suzi, I could definately go for another visit to you, had so much fun last time :)

B.Ranulf, lovely pic, hadn't seen that before :D

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Do come - I've been looking for an excuse to go to Shepherds Bush! I have the books mentioned, and others, also images - lots. And trimmings from my stash I want to dispose of....

Suzi

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Sally,

I portray a workingmiddle class woman -depending on what's reqd from about 1910-1918.

I opted for a simple skirt (ranging from a long 4 gore almost A line to a slim fitting blanket style hobble skirt) and a range of blouses, from flannel through to a sheer armistice blouse.

There's a superb site, the photo detective. which covers every style of fashion from Edwardian to Teens (all the way through to 1940s)

http://www.photodetective.co.uk/Edwardian-index.html it uses original photos, mainly lower/middle classes.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:15 pm

That's a great site - thank you.

S.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 pm

I love that site, I collect photograhs anyway but think they are so much more useful than some of the costume books out there.

K

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Some nice late Victorian, Edwardian free pattern downloads here:

http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/free ... #Victorian

Return to “Costumes”