The simple dress pattern

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Fairfax

The simple dress pattern

Postby Fairfax » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:54 pm

Well, it's in the first stages, and is looking ok, my teenage son has been graceful and forgiving, every time I ask him to put it on to see how it looks, the cat has taken to sleeping on the off cuts, the pattern is amazingly simple (even for me), I haven't needed to use the Duck tape, glue of staples once. I've half lined it as I think full lining will make it even heavier and i will be wearing a shift underneath. Next question, does the hem have to be sewn up as I did a bit and it spoiled the hang of the dress, if I don't need to sew it is it ok just to leave it blind as long as the wool doesn't fray?

Fairfax

Re: The simple dress pattern

Postby Fairfax » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:43 pm

D*mn & Blast, everything is fine except I've made the neck far to wide,big, so it's almost on the shoulder, can't take it in or put a centre seam as It will be too small, any ideas? or can I make a wimple that has the material going over the neck collar etc. and pin it to that just to keep it up?

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 pm

Cut a contrast band / circle that will sit above the neckline giving a smaller neck opening and higher neckline.

When cutting this out cut the fabric on the bias -it sits better.

The other thing you could do is to take up the shoulder seams which will narrow the opening

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:29 pm

If you have room left in your bodice block, still, see the advice I gave here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20297 which allows you to get a greater reduction.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Return to “Costumes”