Velvet

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Thomas Hayman

Velvet

Postby Thomas Hayman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:54 pm

I'm planning on making a Brigandine later this year and am looking for an internet source for Velvet. Must be a red or dark-ish green. Also needs to be of a decent weight so it doesn't tear away when i rivet it together. Does anyone now who the fabric merchant is at the Pudsey civic hall market?

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:26 pm

I suggest you go for cotton velvet. Nip across to Denholm and go into the velvet factory shop. They have different things depending upon what they are making at the moment. They are very cheap.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:20 pm

Cool, Denholm, make a nice day out. Thanks, i'll try get out there and have a look.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:25 am

I was last there in the winter. It was raining and sleeting. I hope you choose a nice day. I have a feeling that the shop is only open in the afternooons, but I suggest you check that. I went bananas and bought all sorts of stuff, which is gradually getting used. Then they gave me a trip around the velvet works. Really interesting. I do not know if they do guided tours for groups, but I was fascinated to see the velvet being woven and then the wonderful dye colours. The crushed velvet is screwed up and just left in big heaps on the floor.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:11 am

Tres cool, i'm not even far from denholm, seeing how its made could be something different.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:03 am

Thomas if I remember correctly you live near Leeds

Frances has already mentioned Denholm

If you want something tastier can i suggest Leeds out door market on a saturday a chap there sells silk velvet at a very reasonable price

Nigel

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:21 am

Talking to my Neighbour yesterday and she mentioned leeds market. lots of fun places to go and see wehn i start getting some dosh for fabric.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:19 am

While we are on the subject of velvet I need to find some shot velvet black/green for preference or black/something for a reasonable price - the cheapest I have been quoted is £20 per metre. My client isn't fussy about authentic materials as its for a Hallowe'en bash.

I am stuck in SW Wales so would need to do mail order.

Shadowlight Designs

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:45 am

Well, when i get up to this shop in Denholme, i'll see if i can egt a swatch type thing (i'm not very fabric minded) and mail it to you. if they have what you want, i'll go back and get some.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:54 am

Oh you wonderful person, you!

If you find anything I will PM you my address -

Shadowlight Designs

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:57 am

K, probably going up this weekend, so i'll PM you then.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:24 am

If you look up Denholme Velvet and fill in the form on line they will send you swatches - takes about two days, and they are huge. I just did that and they arrived this morning.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:29 am

i was just about to say that. i searched and searched for denholme velvet on google and got nothing. typed in denholme and guess what the first result was. typical. www.denholme-velvet.co.uk . I just ordered some swatches, though, i think i'll still take a trip there.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:55 am

Wish I could visit - London's a bit far away for a day trip I'm afraid.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:07 pm

I've just been over to friendly old fashioned fabric shop ( well its a barn) and taken the details of Denholme from her little swatch card - what a coincidence!.

Right I will order some swatches because I need to send some off to my client

Thanks for all the help

Thomas - let me know if they do off cuts and end of lines - I miht have to get hubby to call in uf he is working up that way.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:35 pm

Will do.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:56 am

My oh my, the swatches (i ordered them all, didn't know what i needed :-) ) arrived today, lots of gorgeous colours. pretty mcuh all under the sun really. Most at 3 GBP or so a metre for and 130cm wide it is cheaper than originally expected. Now it has arrived, who knows what i need for a brigandine outer shell? :roll:

EDIT: wow, it's terribly expensive actually, many having a minimum order of 120 meters!! :shock: . i only need a couple of meters, looks like i'm going looking for their cut offs :-).

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:20 pm

Got my samples today - velvet and faux fur - very helpful lady on the telephone - actually has some of the black/green even though it is discontinued - have to buy 21 metres of it but I reckon that I can make some " flights of fancy" stuff for the non authenties.

Actually, Thomas, if you are looking for a couple of metres of cotton velvet I have some (from my little man) I have a soft sea green which would look good - or some deep red - not orangy and not maroony - should be getting some more colours when he gets himself in gear - would that be any help?

The faux fur is very good - a little coarser than what it is representing but as god as the stuf I have been using to line cloaks and it works out a little cheaper than buying a throw and cutting it up.

Shadowlight Designs.

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:08 pm

So glad you are all having fun with Denholme. Yes, they do loads of off-cuts and sample plastic bags of bits, all in the factory shop. Denholme is a little village high up in the Penines on a windey country road. Lovely place.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:22 am

A h the buy in bulk problem

So get you to Leeds market

A chap inside does cotton velvet and yer man outside does the nicer stuff

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:34 am

It's just a tad too far from London to Leeds - have to cope with what I can get here, and mail order.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:58 am

I was going to try and have a run up today but it's absolutely heaving it down with rain ATM.

Return to “Costumes”