Noble hats

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Noble hats

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:00 pm

Can any one suggest where we may find easy patterns to make our own hats or names of hat makers please, we require a hat for the wife she has a heart shaped hennin but needs something else dating from 1350 - 1420 noble woman
i have found Kats hats (amazing hats ) but unfortunaetly to expensive for our purse strings at present.... sorry Kat
any help greatfully recived.
we only have online for resources due to unhelpful libraries!!! type in hat patterns/milliners/suppliers etc you get lots for peasants etc but none for nobility ...or at least we have not come across any at present.

thank you.

Handbag

Re: Noble hats

Postby Handbag » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:57 pm

for the 14th century you could have a circlet and veil. (will cover 1350 - 1380ish) plaits either side of the face either as ramshorns or long framing plaits coming from your temples to as far as chin level.

here is lovely little article with theorised construction of the MoL circlet finds
http://www.silkewerk.com/wire2.html

you could have a look here - some SCA shockers but some good bits too. http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/i ... &catid=168

Steve Milligan of Pewter Replicas does some coronets and circlets which are very easy but affective head wear for the noblewoman. get some really fine silk for a veil.

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:01 am

Sir Edmund Mortimer wrote:Can any one suggest where we may find easy patterns to make our own hats or names of hat makers please, we require a hat for the wife she has a heart shaped hennin but needs something else dating from 1350 - 1420 noble woman
i have found Kats hats (amazing hats ) but unfortunaetly to expensive for our purse strings at present.... sorry Kat
we only have online for resources due to unhelpful libraries!!! type in hat patterns/milliners/suppliers etc you get lots for peasants etc but none for nobility ...or at least we have not come across any at present.

thank you.

If you're new to the hobby and finding the high-class kit too expensive then why not invest in lower class stuff of a good quality? Makes more sense from a financial standpoint as this can be a money drain as you're finding out.

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:19 am

Simon_Diment wrote:
Sir Edmund Mortimer wrote:Can any one suggest where we may find easy patterns to make our own hats or names of hat makers please, we require a hat for the wife she has a heart shaped hennin but needs something else dating from 1350 - 1420 noble woman

thank you.

If you're new to the hobby and finding the high-class kit too expensive then why not invest in lower class stuff of a good quality? Makes more sense from a financial standpoint as this can be a money drain as you're finding out.

because our group only does nobility!!! ideally the wife can make something but it is finding patterns or someone who can point her in the right direction!

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:25 am

only does nobility which group is that ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 am

Nigel wrote:only does nobility which group is that ?

n/t
Last edited by Sir Edmund Mortimer on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Billman

Postby Billman » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Sir Edmund Mortimer wrote:because our group only does nobility!!!

Hi, sorry to hijack your thread but I'm a bit curious as to how that works.

It seems that that would rule out any kind of craft/making things type activities and anything to do with cooking, and most manual things like chopping wood. The only things I can think of are household administration type activities, martial training, hunting, eating, and being entertained (music, dancing etc) but most of these would require support from people portraying servants/retainers.

Perhaps I'm missing the point given your group name and you concentrate on telling the story of the people you portray rather than showing them engaging in appropriate activities, if so do you do this in the first or third person.

Thanks.

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:01 pm

Billman wrote:
Sir Edmund Mortimer wrote:because our group only does nobility!!!

Hi, sorry to hijack your thread but I'm a bit curious as to how that works.

It seems that that would rule out any kind of craft/making things type activities and anything to do with cooking, and most manual things like chopping wood. The only things I can think of are household administration type activities, martial training, hunting, eating, and being entertained (music, dancing etc) but most of these would require support from people portraying servants/retainers.

Perhaps I'm missing the point given your group name and you concentrate on telling the story of the people you portray rather than showing them engaging in appropriate activities, if so do you do this in the first or third person.

Thanks.

We tell the story of the people we portray and one of the gentleman is a knight in full armour who does engage in the battles, me personally; I (and wife) only joined since July 2009, so not long in the group, the group is a little unusual in the fact we do only nobility but so far from what i have seen as a participant and spectator it seems to work well with the public.
sorry but not sure what you mean about first or third person....

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Intrigued, how do you dress, drink or eat without servants?.

First person is where you are the individual in every respect, not acknowlodging aspects of the modern world.

Thirld person is where you say "I am Fred Bloggs and I am portraying Sir Edmund Mortimer" and discuss aspects of his life in a modern context.

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:22 pm

sorry didnt explain that to well did i? we have a couple of servants

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:28 am

Merlon. wrote:Intrigued, how do you dress, drink or eat without servants?.

First person is where you are the individual in every respect, not acknowlodging aspects of the modern world.

Thirld person is where you say "I am Fred Bloggs and I am portraying Sir Edmund Mortimer" and discuss aspects of his life in a modern context.

What's second person? :eh:

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 am

John Waller wrote:
Merlon. wrote:Intrigued, how do you dress, drink or eat without servants?.

What's second person? :eh:

second person, where you switch into first to demosttrate a point ands switch back to thrird to carry on the interpretation.

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Second person re-enactment would be where you treat the public as if they were in-period; and you are not. So they are doing the re-enacting (under your direction)

First person: "I am an archer"
Second person: "You are an archer"
Third person: "He is an archer"

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Churchmouse

Postby Churchmouse » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:33 pm

May I suggest Sarah Thursfield's "Medieval Tailor's Assistant"? It has several different styles of headwear, both male and female, of most levels of status from about 1200 to 1500. The diagrams are easy to follow and the the instructions clear. If I can be of further help, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck and let us see pictures of the finished project.

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Churchmouse wrote:May I suggest Sarah Thursfield's "Medieval Tailor's Assistant"? It has several different styles of headwear, both male and female, of most levels of status from about 1200 to 1500. The diagrams are easy to follow and the the instructions clear. If I can be of further help, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck and let us see pictures of the finished project.

Thank you for that i will look the book (guessing its a book) up for her indoors.

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:47 pm

All the details of this book were on the previous thread where you asked about costume and Alice made some helpful suggestions - it's really good book to start from. Obviously you need also to do some research so you know what to make/and out of what etc but it'll get you most of the way there with much of what you want to make.
http://www.sarahthursfield.com

you can buy it from amazon etc

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:58 pm

Jenn wrote:All the details of this book were on the previous thread where you asked about costume and Alice made some helpful suggestions - it's really good book to start from. Obviously you need also to do some research so you know what to make/and out of what etc but it'll get you most of the way there with much of what you want to make.

thank you ...her indoors recognised the title straight away and is apparently saving up for the book as i write .... thank you once again everyone.

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Jenn wrote:All the details of this book were on the previous thread where you asked about costume and Alice made some helpful suggestions - it's really good book to start from. Obviously you need also to do some research so you know what to make/and out of what etc but it'll get you most of the way there with much of what you want to make.

As one of Sarah's 'ex-students' I can highly recommend her clothing courses. They are a natural compliment to the book. In fact, you'll get so much more out of the book if you do one or more of the courses. And you get get Sarah's latest information (remember the book is nearly 10 years old now, and our understanding has moved on a lot in that time!)

English Warbow: When you absolutely, positively have to kill every muthaf**king Frenchman on the field. Accept no substitutes.

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:28 pm

EnglishArcher wrote:

As one of Sarah's 'ex-students' I can highly recommend her clothing courses. They are a natural compliment to the book. In fact, you'll get so much more out of the book if you do one or more of the courses. And you get get Sarah's latest information (remember the book is nearly 10 years old now, and our understanding has moved on a lot in that time!)

I would love to do one of the courses but at present buisness is slow to dead... so cant afford the book let alone a course :thumbdown:

ValTarrant

Postby ValTarrant » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44 am

Sir Edmund Mortimer wrote:I would love to do one of the courses but at present buisness is slow to dead... so cant afford the book let alone a course :thumbdown:

Have you tried ordering it from your library?

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 pm

EnglishArcher wrote:As one of Sarah's 'ex-students' I can highly recommend her clothing courses. They are a natural compliment to the book. In fact, you'll get so much more out of the book if you do one or more of the courses. And you get get Sarah's latest information (remember the book is nearly 10 years old now, and our understanding has moved on a lot in that time!)

Sarah isn't running any schedules courses at the moment, you'd need to hire here for the cutom training.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:14 pm

Sir Edmund Mortimer wrote:

thank you ...her indoors recognised the title straight away and is apparently saving up for the book as i write .... thank you once again everyone.

shes saved and has ordered book ..thankyou everyone.

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:33 am

typical ... shes got the book ... very good... but now we have changed to a really nice group and doing a different time period ah well going to sell book in our shop already had some interest, all our medieval gear is going on ebay or private sale have a look on for sale/buy.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Sorry to hear that. What period are you doing now?

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:17 pm

tudor and might do later as well. much nicer people than last group :)
the books sold and for more than she paid so a bargain and all part and parcel of the greater things in life ..... whatever that might be :)

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:36 am

You should keep the doublet then - much more Tudor than 14thC

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:07 am

I thouight the same, it actually looks like some of the French and Savoyard doublets from the early Italian Wars.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:32 pm

well you might want to look at this book then once you've sold the other one
http://www.tudortailor.com/index.htm

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:56 pm

EnglishArcher wrote:You should keep the doublet then - much more Tudor than 14thC

no everything to go ... ... going to start totally afresh!

EnglishArcher

Postby EnglishArcher » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Sir Edmund Mortimer wrote:
EnglishArcher wrote:You should keep the doublet then - much more Tudor than 14thC

no everything to go ... ... going to start totally afresh!

Hey - it's your money...

Return to “Costumes”