Fur yes or no???

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Re: Fur yes or no???

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Alice the Huswyf ;

Thanks for thecomments re cloak.
If i took the hood off could it past muster??
at present the group i belong to says it is correct with the hood for our period 1350 - 1420 (appx) and for me being nobility (Owen Glendowr's eldest daughter Catrin married to Sir Edmund Mortimer),
I am so confused about it all and even with all the research it seems to be conflicting. I can not afford to buy books for refrence and so count on internet as our local library is useless for anything relating to dressmaking in any era!

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:07 pm

Try inter-library loans - most libraries don't hold a good stock of research books on the shelf, but they will order them in for you to borrow. That is why I have given the ISBN numbers - you would need them if ordering from a bookshop or by interlibrary loan. We use it a lot.

If your group says it is acceptable as it is, then use it, even if only for your first season until you are either sure you are happy with it, or find something that you find you prefer. Put the time into other garments you will wearing more often. Later I would take the hood off. The weight will pull at your neck and the hood would knock off your head-dress if you put it up.

Now I have been working on the basis that you were doing Joan and Richard Mortimer. Most of the advise given still holds with your group's core dates but I have to go out now so I will double-check when I get back and if I am wrong, I will happily look at my post again and correct it if needed. The books are still good, as they are cover more that one time-span.

I really appreciate where you are: it can feel really panicky after Christmas! I remember trying to get it right when we started and the more I looked at, the more things seemed to contradict each other! It gets easier, and you still have two re-enactment markets coming up to buy cloth, kit and bits before the general outdoor season starts .

Good kit does not have to cost a fortune, especially if you can sew a little and are prepared to throw some time at things, as you have.

Word to the wise - internet research can be a very mixed thing. You will come across a lot of SCA articles - some are school-level tosh, some are excellent. I'll have a look through the links I have found good and drop you a couple later.

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Jenn

Postby Jenn » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:05 pm

Alice has given you some excellent suggestions there in terms of books. I really suggest, if you possibily can, you buy at least the medieval tailor as it will help you with patterns and construction etc and help you get your eye in, in terms of shape once you've done this it will help you filter everything else with your research.

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:20 pm

Alice the Huswyf wrote:Try inter-library loans - most libraries don't hold a good stock of research books on the shelf, but they will order them in for you to borrow. That is why I have given the ISBN numbers - you would need them if ordering from a bookshop or by interlibrary loan. We use it a lot.

If your group says it is acceptable as it is, then use it, even if only for your first season until you are either sure you are happy with it, or find something that you find you prefer. Put the time into other garments you will wearing more often. Later I would take the hood off. The weight will pull at your neck and the hood would knock off your head-dress if you put it up.

Now I have been working on the basis that you were doing Joan and Richard Mortimer. Most of the advise given still holds with your group's core dates but I have to go out now so I will double-check when I get back and if I am wrong, I will happily look at my post again and correct it if needed. The books are still good, as they are cover more that one time-span.

I really appreciate where you are: it can feel really panicky after Christmas! I remember trying to get it right when we started and the more I looked at, the more things seemed to contradict each other! It gets easier, and you still have two re-enactment markets coming up to buy cloth, kit and bits before the general outdoor season starts .

Good kit does not have to cost a fortune, especially if you can sew a little and are prepared to throw some time at things, as you have.

Word to the wise - internet research can be a very mixed thing. You will come across a lot of SCA articles - some are school-level tosh, some are excellent. I'll have a look through the links I have found good and drop you a couple later.

I am not panicking (yet) as I have most of the basic kit from when i started; all be it; toward the end of the last season. Just so much controversy (need spell checker) on a cloak which is my first attempt and was feeling rather proud but now big doubts have set in, im worried about the hood so may well take that off and replace with a fur edge, but if rest of cloak is out then the last thing i want is comments to the face or behind it :? which will be detremental to the group as a whole. Theyre happy with the cloak ...its my lack of knowledge and confidence ... I do appreciate all comments made ...thank you

Catrin Mortimer/Sir Edmund Mortimer

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:19 am

I am panicking - I have just looked at the list of stuff I have to have ready (after x years) ie a small re-fit for four. If you have some spare calm, you can punt it my way! Don't be doubtful or self-critical - lovely work, as several have said.

If your group say the cloak is fine as it is and to use it then don't worry : your group will not put you in a position that might make you feel in any way like a weak link. Any group would appreciate your attitude in new members. Getting it "RIGHT" is a bit of a Holy Grail as the more you learn, the more you realise there is to still know and no one person can master it all. The rest is detail for later tweaking and we all have that - holes can be picked in my kit by those who choose to.

But you never stop learning and so I don't mind being (politely) corrected: it keeps me interested. That's what most of this thread is about - tweakery!

Is it 'coz I is middewl clarse, aih?

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:19 am

Alice the Huswyf wrote:I am panicking - I have just looked at the list of stuff I have to have ready (after x years) ie a small re-fit for four. If you have some spare calm, you can punt it my way! Don't be doubtful or self-critical - lovely work, as several have said.

If your group say the cloak is fine as it is and to use it then don't worry : your group will not put you in a position that might make you feel in any way like a weak link. Any group would appreciate your attitude in new members. Getting it "RIGHT" is a bit of a Holy Grail as the more you learn, the more you realise there is to still know and no one person can master it all. The rest is detail for later tweaking and we all have that - holes can be picked in my kit by those who choose to.

But you never stop learning and so I don't mind being (politely) corrected: it keeps me interested. That's what most of this thread is about - tweakery!

Not been tweaked for ages :o
some extra calm being sent your way, and thank you for all your friendly advise. .... Happy New Year

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Listen to Alice, that's some very good advice.

After 10 years, I'm now on a campaign to replace everything I own with something more authentic. I imagine that by the time I've done that, I'll want to do it again as I'll have learned more. That's just re-enactment. :shifty:

You've done a beautiful piece of work on that cloak, so do be proud of it.

As you've said, there is a lot of controversey on how correct it is. That means that most people don't know as much as you do, so the only ones who'll 'pick' at it are the ones that can pick holes in everyone else's kit, so your're not showing anyone up! :thumbup:

Happy New Year

Colin

P.S. Did any of what I just wrote make sense? :?

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir Edmund Mortimer

Postby Sir Edmund Mortimer » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:24 pm

Colin Middleton wrote:Listen to Alice, that's some very good advice.

After 10 years, I'm now on a campaign to replace everything I own with something more authentic. I imagine that by the time I've done that, I'll want to do it again as I'll have learned more. That's just re-enactment. :shifty:

You've done a beautiful piece of work on that cloak, so do be proud of it.

As you've said, there is a lot of controversey on how correct it is. That means that most people don't know as much as you do, so the only ones who'll 'pick' at it are the ones that can pick holes in everyone else's kit, so your're not showing anyone up! :thumbup:

Happy New Year

Colin

P.S. Did any of what I just wrote make sense? :?

Bless you for those kind words dear sir.... and makes sense.

Happy New Year to you as well.

Catrin /Sir Edmunds other half!

Return to “Costumes”