Victorian Ladies Indoor caps

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Artemisia

Victorian Ladies Indoor caps

Postby Artemisia » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:49 am

I would like to make at least one cap for when I portray a local author,Lucy Walford, in the library. She is shown wearing some sort of lace confection in some of the photos we have but of course none of them give multiple angles or are close enough for me to get an idea of the construction.
Do any of you know a good source for patterns? I have scoured the London Libraries Consortium but nothing gives enough detail.
Thanks

Lady Willows Retinue

Postby Lady Willows Retinue » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:23 pm

You could try "The Workwomen's guide, by a Lady".
I remember it used to have a page with patterns for a range of caps & under hats. I did have a photocopy once, but not sure if I could find it again. Let me know if you dont have any luck & I'll have a search/ransack.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:31 pm

Just got the Workwoman's guide from the interlibrary loan service, and am chuffed to little mintballs with it.
What a brilliant thing to know- how to correctly dress a four poster bed, what to give on loan to a poor woman in order to get her and her child through the confinement, how to make bloomers... I will be playing with calico for some little while now.
When I am not sewing and making for work, I will now be sewing and making for fun, again.
Ah but, you should see the pictures, well you probably all have, it's old hat to you serious costume gals, but this is all new and great to me.
If you are one of those to whom this also would be a revelation, please, please don't order it on the inter library thing for a little while, as they will ask for it back- give me a few weeks start at least. :wink:

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

GOK

Postby GOK » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 am

If you don't want to wait for a hard copy to become available, you could download a PDF version from here! :P

Artemisia

Postby Artemisia » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks - I downloaded it

GOK

Postby GOK » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:48 am

Would love to see your outfit when it's complete - including the cap!

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Re: Victorian Ladies Indoor caps

Postby frances » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:25 am

OOoo, just look at the pics at the back!!

I did an 1840's during the summer by altering an 1850's. Since I might be doing a winter 1840's I will consult these pages for ideas. Thanks so much for the link.

Return to “Costumes”