C18th bling

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

C18th bling

Postby Phil the Grips » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Now the foundations are set in my c18th wardrobe I need to add some bling. To start with-

What sort of lace is acceptable for trimming cravats and stocks? Sheets, trim, lengths, none?

What sort of silk should I be adding to my banyan collar and cuffs? Dupion, patterned, unpatterned, none?

Turbans- other than a simple headwrap (matching the cuffs and silk of above) what other forms and construction methods were there? I now of the "boat" style with a bifurcated brim that there are pics and patterns for but what about the really elaborate "Maharajah"type stuff?

Debate, discussion, suppliers, offers etc all welcome.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

guthrie
Absolute Wizard

Postby guthrie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:48 pm

I have a picture of a 1777 print showing "coup de button" with an 18th century gentleman dazzling a fashionable lady with his bright crucible steel buttons and buckles.
Ok, it might be a bit of hard work to keep them shiny, but they were expensive due to the large amount of processing required and also of course would look very good. And they were cutting edge for the 1770 and a decade or two after.

myladyswardrobe

Re: C18th bling

Postby myladyswardrobe » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:55 pm

Phil the Grips wrote:Now the foundations are set in my c18th wardrobe I need to add some bling. To start with-

What sort of lace is acceptable for trimming cravats and stocks? Sheets, trim, lengths, none?

Debate, discussion, suppliers, offers etc all welcome.

Which bit of the 18th century are you talking about?

One type of lace that was VERY expensive but seen in the earlier part was needle lace, specifically the types like Venetian Gros Point and Rose Point.
http://www.costumes.org/History/100pages/18THLACE.HTM - this gives a nice overview of the different types of lace and their uses in the 18th century. The lace with a bright pink background near the beginning of the page is the lace I was talking about.

Its something I want to get into making - I have a couple of orginal pieces and its exquisite but takes a while to make. you can find original pieces of you look carefully. I know of a few websites that sell it. PM if you are interested.

Bess

Gentry/Tailor/Needlelace Maker - Kentwell.
www.myladyswardrobe.com

Grymm
Post Centurion

Postby Grymm » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:22 pm

The avatar is Sir Francis Dashwood in his Dilettanti club robes circa 1730 summat, the turban is most likely made up on a cap and taken on and off like a hat.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:00 am

Are you still looking for bling? I have some vintage buttons that might do - gold filigree tops with mirror-shiny metal underneath. How many buttons-holes do you have and what size are they?

I also have the ultimate in bling - for the Court gentleman - vintage buttons with paste diamonds. In later periods these were made into ladies earrings.

email me if you would like to know more.

GinaB

Postby GinaB » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:52 am

Leek buttons. There simply aren't enough of them in re-enactment in my opinion.... :wink:

Return to “Costumes”