scarf/sash

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sewmaid

scarf/sash

Post by sewmaid »

Hi
I want to make a scarf like the yellow one shown in this picture, can someone tell me what fabric to use, how much is needed for a medium size person and are the ends finished off with lace?

thanks
sewmaid
Last edited by sewmaid on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

not being funny but this is very basic indeed and instead of asking here why dont you do something radical like open a book

But

it should be a minimum of 6 metres long made from silk and fringed in bullion
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Nicie-dearest - would 6 feet do for less blessed abdomens?

sewmaid

sash

Post by sewmaid »

Thanks, thats all i needed to know. I know this is pretty basic but my books dont tell me how much fabric is needed and what its fringed with so I thought i would ask on here as i need to make one up within the next couple of days.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Post by Merlon. »

Alice the Huswyf wrote:Nicie-dearest - would 6 feet do for less blessed abdomens?
No 6 metres is about right. It's not the size of the waist thats important but what uses the scarf is supposed to be used for, among others it is used to make stretcher when the officer concerned is injured on the battlefield and also their winding sheet when they die.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Now that the kind of hidden practicality to period clothing that fascinates me. Ta!

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Merlon. wrote:
Alice the Huswyf wrote:Nicie-dearest - would 6 feet do for less blessed abdomens?
No 6 metres is about right. It's not the size of the waist thats important but what uses the scarf is supposed to be used for, among others it is used to make stretcher when the officer concerned is injured on the battlefield and also their winding sheet when they die.
cheers matey
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Nigel
Post Knight

Re: sash

Post by Nigel »

sewmaid wrote:Thanks, thats all i needed to know. I know this is pretty basic but my books dont tell me how much fabric is needed and what its fringed with so I thought i would ask on here as i need to make one up within the next couple of days.
so as I said do some research if your books dont tell you you ahve the wrong books its not hard you know jsut time consuming