Hose

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

The plowman

Hose

Postby The plowman » Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 pm

Can anybody point me in the direction of cheap hose. I need to dress a rather stout fella for an event later in June and would like to avoid huge costs.

Many thanks,

David

Strickland

Postby Strickland » Thu May 28, 2009 3:00 pm

You could try using fleecy sweatshirt type material, yes not authentic but quite forgiving stretch wise, and depending on what you can find its passable. I used to use it for making up hose to fight in rather than split and rip my expensive woolen hose! Formerly available for around a £ a metre, cant be much more these days as wool in my neck of the woods is far cheaper than 10 years ago!
Of course you'll need to make them up also, but theres half the battle if it suits.

Neil :twisted:

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu May 28, 2009 3:18 pm

Cheapest way is to make them yourself.

If they rip when you fight then:

they are made wrongly.

or

You have the wrong sort of hose for that type of activity.

Besides, you might find fleece type material:

not allowed by many groups

flammable

makes you sweaty

and looks sh**.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

The plowman

Postby The plowman » Thu May 28, 2009 4:04 pm

I am more than happy to make a pair up. Has anybody got any decent patterns or could link me to some.

Strickland

Postby Strickland » Thu May 28, 2009 4:55 pm

See your point Gregory, I was just thinking of an instant fix. Not always good, but if youre in a jam well, who knows! And my old hose always used to split despite being made properly!!! Perhaps I was just too damned athletic! LOL!! Anyhow, PM sent Plowman!

The plowman

Postby The plowman » Thu May 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Many thanks to Neil for his help.

Ariarnia

Postby Ariarnia » Fri May 29, 2009 2:34 am

Can I ask any tips for making hose out of anything other than wool?

A member has quite sensitive skin condition and we've tried linen hose for her, but they seem to give tear very easily. We're rolling the seams, but I don't know if it's just the nature of the beast.

Gail Horn

Postby Gail Horn » Fri May 29, 2009 4:05 am

My Small Spawn can't cope with wool next to the skin, so, although the outsides are wool I lined the insides with old cotton sheets. If anyone gets close enough to inspect the insides for authenticity I'll have 'em arrested!

My mind not only wanders - sometimes it leaves completely!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri May 29, 2009 7:58 am

We have done the same with Callum.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Strickland

Postby Strickland » Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 am

Yup, I'd suggest lining, though as an extreme measure as I mentioned above, the fleecy sweaty (!!) stuff might help. Yes not authentic, and depends on the quality you can get, but can get you out of a fix. Old friend of mine had an issue with wool but oddly enough got on fine with wool mix, again not ideal but sorted him out to his satisfaction and was better than the fleecy route. Otherwise its linen or a very long coat!!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Fri May 29, 2009 9:33 am

Hose were often lined from waist to mid thigh, a bit like proper trousers with a sliding lining.

You can see a good example of this in Jean Fouquet's Martyrdom of Sta Appolonia.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Strickland

Postby Strickland » Fri May 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Interesting pic, nice one Gregory!!

Neil

Ariarnia

Postby Ariarnia » Sat May 30, 2009 2:35 am

thanks all, we'll see what we can work out.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sat May 30, 2009 8:54 am

Ariarnia wrote:Can I ask any tips for making hose out of anything other than wool?

A member has quite sensitive skin condition and we've tried linen hose for her, but they seem to give tear very easily. We're rolling the seams, but I don't know if it's just the nature of the beast.

ok assuming youa re meaning early med single legged hose ?

linen hose should be very hard wearing we all wear em in summer with no prblems where are they ripping ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Ariarnia

Postby Ariarnia » Sat May 30, 2009 11:13 am

They just don't seem to have any durability on the seams in the leg or foot.

Kinda figured it was the sweat rotting them or friction with the shoe or something

we use French rolled seams that hold everywhere else.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sat May 30, 2009 4:23 pm

pk I ahve a pair of hooped hose made by DEBS for Hasings 2002 I thinkstill going strong

I'll ask her youare making em like we told you ?

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sat May 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Aked DEBS she thinks one of two things

Linen weave too loose

YOu ahven't left enough seam allowance

Ariarnia

Postby Ariarnia » Sat May 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I'm not sure how you told us to make them... I personally don't sew, so I've not really discussed it with anyone before.

We apparently allow between one and two inches seam allowance on all items and are using the linen from on-line fabrics for most things - we haven't really made more than a few pairs of linen hose so I can't say it's not the fabric.

We were wondering if the stitches were too loose, as we hand stitch almost all the seams.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun May 31, 2009 10:29 am

Did we talk at Torm where DEBS gave you a diagram to show you how to make a pair of Hose ?

If not differnat person

Ariarnia

Postby Ariarnia » Sun May 31, 2009 12:26 pm

Nope,

I've not been to torm in a few years now, and I haven't spoke to anyone about soft kit outside the society.

I generally research purely LH stuff - buckles and tables and that kinda thing.

Return to “Costumes”