Pourpoints and doublets

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Jack the dodgy builder

Post by Jack the dodgy builder »

There is a quote from a visiting Venetian chappy around 1490 ( I think)

Which always makes me chuckle and it goes something like this:-

" There is nothing more consistant than the inconcistancy of English dress"

So I think that a doublet with the sleeves unlaced which may be of linen and is holding up hose, which is then covered with a woolen sleeved doublet (because its cold or chilly) is probably perfectly ok . As someone who has worked in hose, and I mean worked (tiling a roof , hewing timber, erecting oak frames etc) , its what happens when dealing with the
inconsistant British weather.

Just my groats worth

Jack the dodgy builder

There is a quote from a visiting Venetian chappy around 1490 ( I think)

Which always makes me chuckle and it goes something like this:-

" There is nothing more consistant than the inconcistancy of English dress"

So I think that a doublet with the sleeves unlaced which may be of linen and is holding up hose, which is then covered with a woolen sleeved doublet (because its cold or because your've left the sleeves in the lodge etc) is probably perfectly ok . As someone who has worked in hose, and I mean worked (tiling a roof , hewing timber, erecting oak frames etc) , its what happens when dealing with the inconsistant British weather.

Just my groats worth

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Why does every-one have a need to remove their doublet when the weather gets hot? I thought that the done thing was to partly unlace it (to the waist) and then slip it off of the shoulders, leaving the doublet sleeves hanging behind you, but keeping your hosen in place. There are definitely pictures showing that.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Jack the dodgy builder

Yehp definatly pictures of people doing that Colin , but try working with that flapping around it drives you mad, is flipping dangerous if you are working anywhere other than the ground and arnt waving a very sharp thing around. There are lots of images of building workers in sleeveless doublets or what ever you call them this week. As I said, I think it is likely that its sleeves removed /unlaced . Also for me its nothing to do with the weather getting hot but me getting hot , So you would see me working in the middle of winter in just a waist coat .