Be kind

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Gothic-Haven

Be kind

Postby Gothic-Haven » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:07 pm

this is my first attempt at sewing since the 5th form.. its all hand sewn and needs hemming and pressing but i am rather pleased with it. moss green linen
Attachments
100_0773.JPG
100_0774.JPG

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"
"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"
www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Good start! Lookung forward to seeing it finished. I would stay stitch your neckline now before it stretches any further to save yout difficult handling later.

Gothic-Haven

Postby Gothic-Haven » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:57 pm

it is all hemmed apart from the bottom so I am a bit worried about the neckline and hope it will look better with the chemise and a different bra.. thanks for the comments though it really has been 30 odd years since i sewed anything other than a button

"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"

"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"

www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

hamster

Postby hamster » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:40 am

:D like the colour well done

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:54 am

Try wearing it, correctly without a bra. You will be surprised at the difference in fit. If you have a centre front seam for lacing, take a shallow 'dart ' in from the neckline - this will ease the gape and improve fit and definition over the breasts.

(The whole no bra point is partly period-improbable lift, but mainly the chest strap cutting into the soft flesh of the back. It can be seen clear across a camp and ruins the look and crdibility of all the work.)

Shortening your shoulder straps will also help with the over low neck and improve the fit over you hips - youa re like me, short in the body. Try it with pins, you will be amazed the difference for such a little adaptation. Don't worry about length as you won't want it longer than top of the foot or you will have damp / dirty hems.

It will also make the armhole a little smaller so you will need to make your sleeves more snug. Modern armholes on commercial patterns are very much larger than period ones - partly becuase the curve at the top of the sleeve is cut for a less mobile position. They will lie at about 25 degrees away from the bodice in the modern cut. When pinning your sleeves on, start from the armpit and work up both sides evenly. You will run out of armhole to pin sleeve to and be left with a big pinch of sleeve. Now re-pin in so that this big pinch is left as a rescent shaped curve of remnant one the sleeve is fitted to the armhole. This will raise the angle of the sleeve and give you greater mobility.

Return to “Costumes”