Who makes custom embroided fabric for the reenactment world

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Templar Knight

Who makes custom embroided fabric for the reenactment world

Postby Templar Knight » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:28 pm

I have been looking at all fabric suppliers listed in the sticky and other fabric sites but cannot find the fabrics styles Im after. Im looking for black silk or wool that has gold embroidery in typical medieval patterns or fluer da lys on it. If anbody knows of people who sell fabrics or can make them can they please say.
Cheers

"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:45 am

just checking, do you mean embroidered or woven designs? Do you have an image of the medieval source material you are trying to replicate, that will help our costume people here se if they have spotted a match anywhere

Templar Knight

Postby Templar Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:23 pm

Well im not sure if it is embroided or woven but the one that is more likely to be found in 13th century. Something similair to the patterns on this or black with fleur be lys.
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN

Sorry tried to upload the picture but even after cropping it was to big

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:46 pm

That's beautiful, but I would not have recognised it as medieval. I recently saw some original fabrics from the 14th and 15th century, and they didn't look anything like that. The patterns were much bigger, and brocaded, not printed or embroidered.

You could join http://www.et-tu.com/soper/cgi-bin/inde ... lay&num=63 and see if they can help. GinaB posts on this forum too.

S.

Templar Knight

Postby Templar Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Cheers, will join that and have a look around.

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:56 pm

Charles of Blois was C14th century so this style of tunic is unsuitable for the date you've given. For pictorial reference you'd be better off looking at the Maciejowski Bible for example or looking online at the illuminated manuscripts at the British Museum.

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!
www.angevin.org

Templar Knight

Postby Templar Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:57 pm

yeah, I agree, i did a typo I meant 14th century circa 1330, not sure if it isnt suitable for that time though

Simon_Diment

Postby Simon_Diment » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:33 pm

Don't make assumptions about costume as fashion can change quite dramatically during a relatively short space of time.

Charles was born in 1319 and he would have been at the cutting edge of fashion at court - although this does filter down it depends on your wealth and status to afford fabric resembling that of the nobility.

I'm guessing that this is in addition to your Templar interests and not an extension? :D

Bitter and Twisted IS a lifestyle option!

www.angevin.org

Templar Knight

Postby Templar Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:34 pm

yeah, im going for absolute style and wealth opposed to my templars poorness.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Similar brocades are still made for the upholstery and curtain industries.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:37 pm

completely not a medival pattern at all.

bears very little relation to any medieval design I've ever seen.

brocades, brocatelles and samites are what you'd be looking for.

only places I know that do them in medieval patterns are trade only. sorry.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Templar Knight

Postby Templar Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:43 pm

Alice have you got any company names of places that may have similair, ive checked a lot of major upholsters and curtian makers but none intrested me.

Tuppence similairly any names for trade people who sell such, maybe at TORM or something.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:59 pm

The kind of people who sell these fabrics only sell to professional sewing people, like Tuppence and me, and do not trade at any markets. You will not be able to buy them from this kind of merchant yourself. I suggest you find a friendly local professional, and ask for their help.

You might be lucky at one of the markets, if one of the traders there has an end of roll they have acquired, but I have rarely, if ever, seen suitable fabrics at TORM, Colchester or ILHF.

You could try your local church, and ask where they get their fabrics from - many of them use medieval reproductions for vestments, but these can be £50.00 and upwards per metre, and again, often only sell to professional sewers.

S.

Templar Knight

Postby Templar Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:04 pm

Might be easier to get when Im in college then as Im doing a cotume designing A level so they might be able to order them in for me.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:20 pm

All joking aside, if you are looking for a good costume will-do fabric - like the one you refer to - look where ever you are at a place that sells fabric.

It isn't an exact period reproduction - but them again if you are after that sort of thing you are looking at a huge investment in money: natural fibres, often woven to order etc etc.

For the real thing have a look at Quartermasterie's companion silk stall. (reproduction period clothing quality).
For compromise fabrics (example or stage costume quality), just keep your eyes open.

Yes, rolls of the more exclusive 'will-do' fabrics are only sold wholesale, but often fabric shops or market stalls carry roll-ends as clearance they have sourced from manufacturers in clearance packages.

Often places like Dunelm Mills carry similar things but do not feature them on their sites as they are not core stock.

Whenever you are on ebay, have a side search for items you are keeping an eye open for. The fabric you are looking to find / copy for is a brocade - upholstery/interior design weight. (There is a duffle bag on ebay made from the fabric you referred to.)

You would be amazed what you can come across - particularly if you happen to know the fabric name or maker.

edited for spelling, sense, punctuation......
Last edited by Alice the Huswyf on Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Templar Knight

Postby Templar Knight » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:34 pm

cool, thanks for your help

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:39 pm

Lovely scrolly leaves pattern, but unfortunately not the pattern on Charles's actual jacket.

You can google him and find loads of pics as lots of men want copies of the jacket as it is such a good shape. You can get the pattern shapes off the internet too, and also lots of people have done blogs of how they made up their version of the jacket.

And also do check out the buttons. These are very nice but not medieval. In my memory his were very small and of the same fabric as the jacket - but I have not looked at the originals for a long time.

Do your research and come up with ideas that suit you rather than copying a copy. You could end up copying modern adaptations which would be such a shame. This garment has so many pieces in it that it takes a long time to get right. All that work would be wasted if people come up to you in the field and point out things that are modern adaptations.

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:22 pm

Templar Knight wrote:Well im not sure if it is embroided or woven but the one that is more likely to be found in 13th century. Something similair to the patterns on this or black with fleur be lys.
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN

Sorry tried to upload the picture but even after cropping it was to big

"Ferns at night" pattern Realtree cammo! Ideal for lamping bunnies??? :lol:

agesofelegance

Postby agesofelegance » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 pm

you could try watts near the houses of parliament they are church fabric suppliers. very expensive, don't just sell to trade but some exquisite stuff and lots of designs taken from original designs

Tailors to history
www.agesofelegance.co.uk

Return to “Costumes”