Transitional hoods.

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:35 pm

lidimy wrote:That's the one - thanks Bess!

(I umm accidently just spent half an hour looking through the rest of her projects. Doesn't time fly? :") )

But that's the pattern I'll be using for when I re-do my hood. She makes a convincing argument for that construction!

Very easy to get lost on her website - Sarah has the most gorgeous frocks and she's a great person to be around as well. She will be at Costume College as well - so looking forward to seeing her again.

All the best

Bess.

Gentry/Tailor/Needlelace Maker - Kentwell.
www.myladyswardrobe.com

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:31 am

That site ha given me something to ponder over.

The main comment I would make is that the white bonnet is likely to have been of fine linen, not silk, in those days. So that it could be washed to get rid of the lice, dandruff and grease. After all they did not wash their hair every few days as we do today.

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:15 pm

frances wrote:That site ha given me something to ponder over.

The main comment I would make is that the white bonnet is likely to have been of fine linen, not silk, in those days. So that it could be washed to get rid of the lice, dandruff and grease. After all they did not wash their hair every few days as we do today.

Sarah is a VERY talented costumer. She can turn her hand to any period fashion. And as she is so petite she is able to get a full size costume out of minimal fabric! :? Lucky her!

I agree the coif should be linen and discussing it with Sarah in the past on a number of occasions she has said it should have been linen as well. She just had silk on hand at the time and wanted to make up the coif pattern as soon as possible!

I would comment that having done Kentwell with limited access to hair washing facilities in the past (not a prob now! I have my own home near by with shower facilities!), my hair actually stayed "cleaner" for longer. Modern day environmental factors, I think, causes the hair to get "dirty" faster due to all the pollutions in the atmosphere AND because we DON'T keep our hair covered up as they did then.

I shan't bother getting into the whole "Dirty Tudor is a Myth" mode! I'll leave that to the class I have to write and give, for the summer!

:D

All the best

Bess.

www.myladyswardrobe.com

Izabela Pitcher

Postby Izabela Pitcher » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:21 am

sorry to come back to the silk baron, but I think it is a good idea to get the matter sorted out of good.
obviously I was not very happy to hear that although they advertise their silks as 100% people claim they are not so. I wrote to them, somehow angrily, I admit, and that's what I got in reply:

To: Izabela Zebrowska <hirondelle8@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, 26 January, 2009 4:03:31
Subject: Re: silk velvet

Dear Izabela,

Greetings -- thank you for your email. Unfortunately, it sounds as if you have been misinformed by your sources. Our velvet is indeed 100% silk. If it were polyester, it would be stretchy (which of course it is not)...that is how one can tell the difference between the two...

Thank you again for checking with us -- good luck with your project!

All the best,
Andrew
silkbaron.com

does anyone else have any correspondence with them when they say otherwise? would come in usefull, if they are well, not very truthful.... after all, polyester mix does not really mean it would be that strechy...

any ideas or opinions welcome

Izabela Pitcher
Prior Attire

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:00 pm

If you can prove to the contrary then he's in trouble now, isn't he? :shock:

Can't you burn a piece to see if it has plastic in it?

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Izabela Zebrowska wrote:sorry to come back to the silk baron, but I think it is a good idea to get the matter sorted out of good.
obviously I was not very happy to hear that although they advertise their silks as 100% people claim they are not so. I wrote to them, somehow angrily, I admit, and that's what I got in reply:

To: Izabela Zebrowska <hirondelle8@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Monday, 26 January, 2009 4:03:31
Subject: Re: silk velvet

Dear Izabela,

Greetings -- thank you for your email. Unfortunately, it sounds as if you have been misinformed by your sources. Our velvet is indeed 100% silk. If it were polyester, it would be stretchy (which of course it is not)...that is how one can tell the difference between the two...

Thank you again for checking with us -- good luck with your project!

All the best,
Andrew
silkbaron.com

does anyone else have any correspondence with them when they say otherwise? would come in usefull, if they are well, not very truthful.... after all, polyester mix does not really mean it would be that strechy...

any ideas or opinions welcome

I think I do have the correspondence I had with Andrew on this subject. Certainly he did not say it was polyester - I think he said it was rayon ground or viscose ground and the pile was silk. I would have to dig out those emails to double check - its been nearly two years since I started that conversation.

I'm in work at the moment so haven't got access to my archive but can have a look tonight when I get home. I'll PM you with any emails I have as I would rather they were not on the public forum.

I would say, I am very happy with the velvet I received from him. It is the closest I have found to a pure silk velvet (comparing it to my 1920s roll and also to my memory of a friend's Elizabethan black silk doublet and skirt - which was 1940s fabric).

Hope that helps

Bess.

www.myladyswardrobe.com

Izabela Pitcher

Postby Izabela Pitcher » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:22 pm

thanks for that, would be good to comare what he actually says to you:-) whern i wrote to him, i did not even mention polyester but rayon, so have no idea ahy he suddenly pop up with the polyester idea.

Izabela Pitcher
Prior Attire

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 pm

myladyswardrobe wrote:This one is really good!

And she has added a newer version of her research:
http://modehistorique.com/elizabethan/french_hood/french_hoods.html

Bess.

I know this thread has kind of been dead and gone for some time now, but I just thought I would say that I have used the above website for my French hood this year and it has worked well, with a few tweaks.

Here it is:
Attachments
005 - Copy.JPG

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:02 pm

Well done. You look great!

May I let Sarah know? She will be tickled pink that a Kentwellie is using her theory of construction.

Bess.

www.myladyswardrobe.com

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Yeah, sure!

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:12 pm

I really like that. It just looks really unfussy and so elegant!! For a gentry country bumpkin like you (lol) to my untutored eye it looks just great. Can't wait to see the finished outfit!!

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:12 pm

Return to “Costumes”