13th Century maile chausses attaching to shoe help

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Templar Knight

13th Century maile chausses attaching to shoe help

Post by Templar Knight »

Can anyone tell me how you keep the maille hanging over the top of the shoe. Like strapping it or putting a leather sole underneath, how you guys done it.
Attachments
my shoe and maille
my shoe and maille
"We are here to add what we can to life, not to get what we can from life."

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

you need to have a chat with nerf herder
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

My understanding is that straps or thongs ran underneith the shoe. You may also want a thong roudn your angle to support it.

Keep us updated how you go on, as it's something that I'm expecting to be attempting in the near future.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

nerf herder

Post by nerf herder »

Hey Matt

I didn't use a shoe - I just cut a hard sole to shape, plus 1/4 inch all round, then pierced the sole with a leather punch all the way round; 33 holes on mine!! (BIG FEET!!!!!)

I then used a split-ring washer through each hole, linking directly to the maille of the chausses. This means that I can simply open the washers and remove the soles when I need to replace them.

It worked quite well, except that I had overestimated the required size of the sole, and thus ended up with "flipper feet"! :)

I intend to try again with a smaller sole, and perhaps only 25 holes, but until then the chausses work when held by a TIGHT leather strap buckled around the ankle.

Hope this is of some help

Nerfy
"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there...."

Biro
Post Centurion

Post by Biro »

Seen effigies with some kind of ties shown. I assume leather criss-crossing the sole of a shoe worn underneath. Also seen them that 'appear' to be fully enclosing.

For my old pair - I had the mail fully enclosing the foot (yep, the sole too). I used a heavier gauge wire for the sole and tailored it specifically to fit the shoes I had as tightly as possible. Also had a vertical split at the back of the ankle (to be laced up and tied around) - this is was so I could get the heel through while putting it on.

Spurs then helped to keep the mail of the foot in place too.

It gave excellent grip on mud/grass but was pretty trecherous on concrete/stone.. But then we would never fight on hard ground.

Templar Knight

Post by Templar Knight »

Here is how I did it for those intrested, I basically measured around the end of my shoe on to a peice of leather about 1mm thick( this will have to be replaced now and then because it will rip and tear) I added half an inch to it and then cut it out. Marked hole 5 mms in to the leathers width all the way around with about 9mm gap bewteen each hole because I have 9mm I.D rings. Sewed each ring through each hole in the sewing pattern where it goes over the edge and back in, dont know what the term for it is. I went through each ring twice for strength. At the end though because my shoe is pointed and the maille covering the feet ends square i pulled a couple of rings in at the very tip to one hole rather than the 1 ring per hole. I will however be takin nerf herders adive and making a sole of leather and attatch it to the bottom and not wear shoes with them. But for now they will do.
And here is some pics
Attachments
SP_A0586.jpg
SP_A0587.jpg
SP_A0588.jpg

Templar Knight

Post by Templar Knight »

continued
Attachments
SP_A0589.jpg

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

interesting idea BUT will it work ?
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Templar Knight

Post by Templar Knight »

yeah it works I have been out in it and it holds it fine, a bit of a struggle sometime putting them on though because I dont have any splits in my chausses and I put them on with my shoe on first so getting the ankle round and the tip of the shoe in the leather hold can be tricky but I get it in eventually. One problem which is my stupidity is that when I added leather at the top of them I didnt put the straps center on so the foot twists at the bottom and slips to the side now and then so i may have to put a thong through the ankle just to hold it better. But thats only on one leg so its not to bad :oops:

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

You sometimes see thongs at the ankles anyway.

Nice solution.

One improvement you might want to consider is not to sew the mail directly to the 'shoe', as when the lether goes, you need to make a new 'shoe'. Also, holding it like this increases the wear and tear on the thread holding the links, so it breaks quickly. Solutions that, I've tried a include sewing a thong of leather all the way around the item and put the mail links into the gap between the thong and the item (glove in this case). As the link never touches the thread, it wears less and lasts longer. The other change that I've tried is to sew a welt of leather into the seam of the glove. I then sewed the mail to the palm side of this welt. This helped reduce the stress on the leather & thread (don't ask me how, but it appears to have done) and has lasted surprisingly well. If the welt ever breaks, I can just sew another one onto the remains.

Good luck
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"