houppelande (?sp)

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Gothic-Haven

houppelande (?sp)

Post by Gothic-Haven »

Hello all you lovely costume experts... I was given a lovely leather belt/stomacher as an early crimly pressy.. its blue leather with embossing and a large brass buckle... now I need to make the houppelande and wonder if anyone has the "idiots guide" I can sew and have cut patterns but am no expert..

any help greatly appreciated
"its the bubbles.. they get lodged in me chest"
"mmm yes there's room for a few lodgers in there!"
www.gothichaven.com/gothic-clothing

Karen Larsdatter

Re: houppelande (?sp)

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Which style are you looking at doing? (Men's? women's? any particular specifications as to neckline?)

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

well it woud be for me so a woman.. a square or round neck not too high would be good.. nothing overly fancy as I am not that high status it would be nice to have something to show off the belt with.. not too long sleeves either :-)

Karen Larsdatter

Okay -- roughly what year (or at least what part of the 15th century -- I presume this is for 15th century, right?) are you looking for?

Gothic-Haven

Post by Gothic-Haven »

Mid to late 15th.. I am with The Thomas Stanley retinue..

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Didn't houplands go out in the early 15th? Is it one of those terms that changes it's meaning over time or gets 'confused' a lot by re-enactors, so that we're all talking about different garments?
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Karen Larsdatter

Colin Middleton wrote:Didn't houplands go out in the early 15th? Is it one of those terms that changes it's meaning over time or gets 'confused' a lot by re-enactors, so that we're all talking about different garments?
I think the latter's more to the point. Out here, we generally seem to use the term to cover a lot of the 15th century gowns worn by men and women. In the Middle Ages, though, I'm not sure what distinguished a houppelande from other overgarments.

Marc Carlson has found the word houpelande dating back at least to 1281. The Middle English Dictionary finds examples from 1380, 1393, 1415, 1423, and 1429; the only thing one can clearly discern from their descriptions is that they're a fur-trimmed (or fur-lined) wool garment.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Thanks Karen, that's about what I'd expected. So Gothic Havern, what do you mean by a Houppeland?

Also, have you tried the Medieval Tailor's Assistant as an obvious starting point?

All the best
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"