Fabric, fabric clearance

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:20 pm

:D

I don't know much about it yet; only that it'll be next October, and that it'll be a 'dance through time' apparently, a show of all the different types of dances we do. (lots of frantic changing of costumes... boy will I regret being the authenti one when I'm struggling with lacing where everyone else has few nifty poppers! :roll: :lol: )

So it's not an open ball, it's a 'sit down and watch us' ball. A bit egocentric really. Tickets needed, but I imagine (as last time there was a 'dance through time' at Dragon Hall) that there will be dinner served and an interval. Last time I was just an audience member but it was definitely worth it!

But yeh... basically it means I need 18thC and Regency outfits sorted by then. Stressed? Why not at all....

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:36 pm

Frances, is there any chance you could let me know the amount and price of the striped silk by Friday? :D

Redders

Postby Redders » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Frances,

Just had a peek at your site :)
My other half is a seamstress so may well be looking at grabbing some of your wares.
We've just started Regency Dancing and need new costumes.

I did notice you have some nice dark Red Wool.
2nd pic on the wool page and also shown in the multi bolt pic.
I nee dsome red Wool for a new British Redcoat. How much is there and how much for it :)

Also, at the risk of being Super Cheeky, is it possible for a tiny tiny sample for a colour comparison to check it's correct?

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

fabric clearance stuff

Postby frances » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi Redders,

I have pm'd you

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:36 pm

I've just started to add a few velvets. There are only 6 there at the moment. But some mouth-watering stuff to come, believe me.

You will notice that the home page has changed. There were too many fabrics to have them all on the front page as well as in sections. So now you can only see the pictures by going to the folders on the right-hand side. Please let me know if this proves to be inconvenient. Thanks

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:52 pm

Nope - tis fine for me....

Keeping an eye on the mauvey velvet you have, for foresleeves perhaps on new Tudor. I need a very specific colour...

btw do you have silk velvets as well or just cottons?

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:23 am

Right, I will look out the mauvey velvets for you tomorrow. It might take a few days to get them up on the site, but I know that you are never in a rush!!

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:26 am

:lol:

Cream velvet would wort too. Either one. The silk is (predictably) light purple and cream so I'm aiming to pick out either of those colours. I've been through the whole colour spectrum in my head and I really don't think that any other colour would go at all!

Kajte

Postby Kajte » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:47 pm

Frances,

Do you have any dark green cotton velvet in your stash?

K

frances
Post Knight

Dark Green Cotton Velvet

Postby frances » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi Kajte,

I'll have a look. I know that I have some old, slightly faded, curtains in cotton velvet. But I might find something else as I root around in the loft.

Give me a few days and I will let you know. How much fabric do you need?

Kajte

Postby Kajte » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Thank you

Think I will need about 5 metres, depending on the width

:)

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Lidi, about your colour problem - a neutral brown could look good. Pale/pastel brown. Or what about gold, or even a brocade with a different size of design?

Be careful with purple as people associate the colour with royalty.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Ha ha ha. I like that idea!

Tis quite a pale purple. Not deep... kinda muted. But I do need to be very posh, so *shrug*. Daughter of a Duke or something. Charles Brandon had some girlies who would be in their early 20s by 1530, that'll do me fine!

:D

I'll take some piccies of my silk tomorrow in natural light so you can see what you think. I'm trying to imagine brown with it but I'm finding it difficult! With the wrong shades the colours on the silk could look a bit sickly you see, something I would rather like to avoid! :shock:

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Talk to the dyers on the board about colour. From your description, I am doubtful if that is a truly 16th century colour, in spite of you liking it - so often the way, I'm afraid - my favourite lavender is really not a suitable colour for another many years!

S.

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Ummmm well it's like the purply shade in this lady's basket:

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:25 pm

The one out of focus at the back or the lavender one infront of it?

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:16 pm

The out of focus one :P

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:47 pm

*cough*

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:56 pm

*hmmm*

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 pm

Have to agree there *Hmmm*

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 pm

I think that you have your answer there Lidi.

xVickyx

Postby xVickyx » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:18 pm

frances wrote:I think that you have your answer there Lidi.

I don't mean to sound thick, but I'm not sure anybody has given an answer other than coughing and making a few noises. I'm interested in this as well and would love to know the answer if anybody has it...

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 am

I think what we were attempting to indicate was that we suspect that the fabric that Lidi has may well mean she'll be treading on regal toes if she is wearing purple. Like I said "Talk to the dyers" as they will know. Sumptuary laws will be in effect at this time.

S.
Last edited by Shadowcat on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

xVickyx

Postby xVickyx » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:24 am

Ahhh ok. There you go Lids, you can stop fretting. Looks like the colour did exist, you'll just have to be royalty! :D I'm guessing that won't be a problem :P hehe

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:55 am

Oh yes, the colour did exist - ask a Cardinal or the King! Sorry, I think we were assuming more knowledge than Lidi yet has. We all learn over time and it does take years and years. So you can now make assumptions about all our ages (hehehe)

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Well tbh we were going for super dooper posh.... aren't we Vicky? that was the whole point. It's not just gentry or just aristocracy we're going for... it's the top of the range Tudor courtier with too much money (and quite possibly looking for a suitor to match!)

Izabela Pitcher

Postby Izabela Pitcher » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:01 pm

had the sort of discussion with Vicky recently...
puple for nobility etc- If you look at the portraits of the poshest aristocracy, you will not notice a lot of purple anyway. there is a mention of the colour in the accounts ( a lenght of purple velvet for the foresleeves, if I remember well, for Princess Elizabeth) but I cannot recall anything more than that.
Does anyone have any pictures of Tudor nobility wearing purple? They would help a lot!

Izabela Pitcher
Prior Attire

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:05 pm

frances wrote:Oh yes, the colour did exist - ask a Cardinal or the King! Sorry, I think we were assuming more knowledge than Lidi yet has. We all learn over time and it does take years and years. So you can now make assumptions about all our ages (hehehe)

I jumped to the conclusion that we were talking about the possibility of that colour being in existence rather than its sumptuary restrictions - no one actually said :wink:

jelayemprins

purple

Postby jelayemprins » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:16 am

Absolutely no problem for any Royal Tudor lady related to the Queen [x6] to wear purple silk. Mothers, sisters, children, aunts.....
Check out the Sumptuary Laws!

'making history happen'
-

frances
Post Knight

Postby frances » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 am

Hi Lidi,

Have browse around the pics here and see what you can see. I have not looked at all of it myself:

http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/mwebcgi/mweb.exe?request=jump;dtype=i;startat=100

My major concern would be how your dress fits in with everyone elses at an event. If you were that top aristocracy you would have a maid to carry all your possessions around for you. Would you be allowed to talk to ladies of a lower social class?

Return to “Costumes”