Quilting on jacks etc

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Quilting on jacks etc

Postby Tod » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:35 pm

I'm modifying my padded jack. I want to put more quilting or stitch lines in to make it look more like contempary pictures (C15). Does the stitching go all the way through or does it just pick up some of the inner layers?

seamsmistress

Postby seamsmistress » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 pm

I do mine all the way through, but keep it a bit loose, otherwise the jack ends up stiff and immobile

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:39 pm

Just thinking it through. I reckon that the stitching will pick up all the internal layers, but may or may not pick up the lining, which is (probably) there for your comfort.

As to how tight the stitches are, that may vary over the area of the jack, to create stiff areas on teh stomach, soft ones on the chest, etc. (or perhaps I've got that the wrong way round). This would be similar to the way that some plates on armour are thicker as they expect to be hit lots, while others are thin to assist mobility.

It doesn't seem to me that they rows of quilting are very close togeather over much of the jack. I'd be expecting a 2-3" gap or more.

All the best.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir_John_Thomas

Postby Sir_John_Thomas » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:54 pm

Maybe you could stitch the lining in last after you have stitched all the other layers together, just a thought.

I'm cheating on mine and machine stitching it, although my machine is old and crappy, and it looks like hand stitching :lol:

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:00 pm

As its already in one piece I can't do the inner last. Surely if the stitching is loose it will catch on things? I would have thought the "tubes" would take the impact whilst the seams along the jack allow it to hinge, that's the best way I can think of putting it.

Ariarnia

Postby Ariarnia » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Assuming it isn't pre formed, it's the seam that determined the density of the tubes. A looser seam makes for a less compact tube and therefore a more flexable garment.

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:52 am

Pre formed?

Eric the well read

Postby Eric the well read » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:41 am

Tod wrote:Pre formed?

Hi Tod,
Nowadays quite a few jacks are made by sewing lines a distance apart then filling the gap between them with a 'filler' (Think stuffing a sausage)!
This can be things like Kapok(sp) which is O.K as far as it goes, but
a)you go on the field on a nice hot day wearing what is in effect a duvet!
b) There are weak points along the sewing lines where there is almost no protection.

Gini once wrote an article on this in the old 'Living History Register',unfortunately I can't find a copy at the moment ,if I do I'll let you have a look
Regards
Eric

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:51 pm

My understanding was that the jack is built up of several layers of linnen or fustian, to make it stab resistant, which should also be fluffy enough to give it some bounce. You then stuff the tubes with more fluffy stuff (hores-hair, cotton, wool, whatever to give it a bit more 'squidge'. AFAIK, it's a combination of the many layers (hard to pierce) with the give (hard to bring force to bear on it and it protects the guy inside from a focused impact) that makes a jack work so well.

I'm guessing that if the stitches are pulled really tight, then the layers are unable to move over each other, making the jack stiff, while if they are loose (not hanging out on the surface, just not pulled as tight), then the various parts of the jack can move against each other, allowing more flexibility.

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Eric the well read

Postby Eric the well read » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Colin Middleton wrote:My understanding was that the jack is built up of several layers of linnen or fustian, to make it stab resistant, which should also be fluffy enough to give it some bounce. You then stuff the tubes with more fluffy stuff (hores-hair, cotton, wool, whatever to give it a bit more 'squidge'. AFAIK, it's a combination of the many layers (hard to pierce) with the give (hard to bring force to bear on it and it protects the guy inside from a focused impact) that makes a jack work so well.

I'm guessing that if the stitches are pulled really tight, then the layers are unable to move over each other, making the jack stiff, while if they are loose (not hanging out on the surface, just not pulled as tight), then the various parts of the jack can move against each other, allowing more flexibility.

Exactly!

Just a point Tod,
if you put twice as many lines of stitching in, unless they're loose, you're in danger of the jack shrinking and ending up too small.

Regards
Eric

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Thanks, I'll (or Angie) will try one arm or body part and see what happens.

Return to “Costumes”