what fabric would this be?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

sewmaid

what fabric would this be?

Post by sewmaid »

Hi
Would anyone know what this type of fabric is?

Thanks
sewmaid

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

Bright blue, indistinct and could be anything from polyester to silk, large weave for feature upholstery fabric ro a very tiny check print.

What is it described as?

If you can get a better picture of it flat, with the weave in focus including a section of ruler so that we can guage the scale of the weave, cut a strand and burn it and report whether remaining ashes crush to nothing ( natural fibre - could be cotton which is clingy when put self to self, linen which is springy when crushed in the hand and released and slides more when put self to self, viscose, or silk if it melts under a hot iron), if it smells of hair burning and the remaining ashes crush to nothing (wool) , or smells of plastic and forms a cold, hard shiny ball (it will give us a clue.

As a rule, it is far better to buy fabric in person or from a reputable seller you can trust. I still make mistakes when buying remotely as one person's honest description can mean something else to another person. It is one of the risks of bargain hunting.

sewmaid

fabric

Post by sewmaid »

Hi Alice
I'm afraid I dont have any of this fabric, I've just been sent the picture to try and match and make a bonnet to go with this 1850 middle class style crinolin dress. The lady who I spoke to reckons that it is linen but she is not too sure herself so I'm trying to find a type of fabric to go with the dress and to use on the bonnet.
I hope this picture might be a bit better.
Last edited by sewmaid on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

What about a black bonnet with blue trim? would that help solve the difficulty in getting an exact match? Would also work well with teh balck trim on the dress

sewmaid

fabric

Post by sewmaid »

Hi Sally
The lady wants the hat in blue, are then any other fabrics i could use that would be ok for middle class?

Thanks
sewmaid

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Post by Alice the Huswyf »

That's a much better picture - so it is a tiny check, not a weave. Ask her how bright the flash has made the fabric look compared to wear in daylight. If you follow Sally's suggestion and your blue trimmings are a bit bright it is better than the body of the hat being overbright. And of course, not everyone had everything at the same time fromt he same supplier as today, so toning works better than outright matching, unless you have remnants to hand to work with.

Mrs Pointer has hit the nail on the head - and of course if you are dealing with trimmings to a hat rather than a whole garment, bear in mind that the middle classes always ape their betters and are the originators of 'more dash than cash' fashion. Garments were handed down , altered, cut down, modified and when no longer servicable, all the best bits cut off and stored for possible later use. A little trim of velvet - or better still, if making a flat hat band, you can piggy back one fabric over another for effect . IE on a cottage bonnet, black body, broad velvet colour band, overlaid band of another black fabric leaving wide margins of the velvet, overlaid again with a strip of another expensive scrap of ribbon or silk leaving black margin of the black to show off the expensive top trip. Judiciously placed rosettes / knots / rosebuds whatever crafted out of the tiny scraps left over, possibly even passementeries (appliques decorations created with beads, sometimes on net, sometimes ong a lovely foundation fabric) created over the scraps too worn to use alone.........

Now have another look at that picture of the two girls in the pill box toques and you will see what I mean.

YOu used to be able to buy pre-formed millinery forms for pillbox hats and trim them up - they are sturdy enough to take a lining and outer, but light enough to pin to the hair - kight be worth a look on ebay.

sewmaid

fabric

Post by sewmaid »

Hello Alice
glad the picture came out better, I got in touch with herts fabrics and they have some linen fabric that is a very good match colourwise to the dress so the lady in question would prefer me to use that.
Thank you very much for your advice it was certainly very interesting.
many thanks
sewmaid

sewmaid

fabric

Post by sewmaid »

Hello Alice
glad the picture came out better, I got in touch with herts fabrics and they have some linen fabric that is a very good match colourwise to the dress so the lady in question would prefer me to use that.
Thank you very much for your advice it was certainly very interesting.
many thanks
sewmaid