Wish me luck!

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Bogwoppit

Wish me luck!

Postby Bogwoppit » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:10 pm

I have my leather... I am about to start making my buff coat! :?

Advice very welcome!! :lol:

Eric the well read

Re: Wish me luck!

Postby Eric the well read » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Bogwoppit wrote:Advice very welcome!! :lol:

When in panic or in doubt,
run in circles scream and shout...... :wink:

Regards
Eric

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Oh thanks mate! :lol:

I think I've already reached that stage and I've only started cutting!!!

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Oh, cutting, always the most dangerous part, when it all goes horribly wrong :lol:

Breathe, and drink plenty of tea, then careful in the corners. :?

You'll be fine 8)
Lucy

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:00 pm

lucy the tudor wrote:Oh, cutting, always the most dangerous part, when it all goes horribly wrong
Lucy

:lol: I'm always paranoid about cutting, it takes me about three weeks usually to work up the courage! But seeing as I need it for the Bank Holiday I just dived (dove?? :? ) in! :lol:

seamsmistress

Postby seamsmistress » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:21 pm

Regular updates demanded! lots of Tea, sympathy and e-hugs available as needed.

As to advice..........
1. Take it easy. Look 3 times, cut once
2. When ready to throw something, put the work down, stand away from the work........and walk away till you've calmed down :wink:
3. Try to complete a row of sewing in one fell swoop - it's the divil trying to pick up on stitch tension half way through a seam
4. Stating the bleedin obvious - wax the thread!

That's all I can think of.
oh yes - keep smiling :D

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:27 pm

Thank you :D

I reached the throwing something stage this afternoon, and yes I managed to walk away :lol: Think that's definitely the best advice though!!

Update tomorrow hopefully...

It's not going to be the most beautiful buff coat in the world, but hopefully it will serve it's purpose! :lol:

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:37 pm

Well done for getting going though. I have some Harris tweed in a gorgeous mustard yellow which has just the perfect weave, I want to make a coat for Tudor with it but...It only cost me £20 and was a real bargain ( should have been about £50) so I can't afford to replace it, couldn't find it again even if I could as it was a one off purchase on ebay.
Have had it for eighteen months now, knowing what it will be, exactly, making excuses for not getting on with it.
DAREN'T CUT.
Now it is a perfect coat in my head- then it may be a horrible disappointment.
Just too busy, may be just as busy for several more years, la la la, la la la.

Yours will be the most beautiful buff coat in the world! ( because it will no longer be a piece of flat leather...)

Lucy

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Aw thank you hon *hugs*

If it's any consolation I too have the most perfect soft aubergine wool that I bought cheap to make a dress for my daughter, only to decide it would make a far better one for me, and it's still on the shelf!! :roll: :lol:

red razors

Postby red razors » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:56 pm

i hate cutting. it is the main reason i have so much unused material! all that wool looks so lovely, and here come i with a big pair of scissors ready to destroy it if i'm not careful... :?

Handbag

Postby Handbag » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:18 pm

lucy the tudor wrote:Have had it for eighteen months now, knowing what it will be, exactly, making excuses for not getting on with it.

know what you mean here! ive got some beautiful silk that i paid £10 per meter for as it is an exact copy of a medieval pattern. i bought said fabric 5 years ago and today i begin cutting to use it to line sleeves in a new gown. scared me?? no - absolutely white-knuckled shivering wreck would be more like it! i keep escaping from the sewing room to check the computer in case someone said something witty to avoid the inevitable - i just have to keep telling myself i need this gown for end of august and with wedding and shows conveniently between then its now or never!!!

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Have fun with the butt-joints.......
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle
Snowshoes and axe and gun
Send me up in Grand River
Steering by star and sun".
- Labrador Trapper's Song

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:26 am

Leather needles and hand protection.

And have a nice pile of scraps nearby that you can hurl against the wall.

Cutting's not so scary - hardly shook at all when cutting 95 quid a metre woven to order, three month (at least) lead time silk a few weeks ago - honest :mrgreen:

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:48 pm

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! :evil:

Just broke my last needle!! Now have to wait for more from ebay! :roll:

Still, it's coming on... the thread work is atrocious but hey! Who sees that when you're galloping past at a great rate of knots? :lol:

Jackie Phillips

Postby Jackie Phillips » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:01 pm

Tuppence and I have undoubtedly had more practice at cutting, but I agree with her, it's not really that scary (except when you can't afford to replace the fabric). It's the old carpenters adage, measure twice cut once.

If in doubt, cut really generous seam allowances - and I mean generous, two inches or more, you can always chop them off later, or use where you've not measured correctly.

Sewing for yourself is hard, especially because you need to take your own measurements (and most of us don't like knowing what these are) and trying to do fittings on yourself requires a lifetime of yoga!

Monday before Kelmarsh, I'm stood in front of the mirror in a corset that is a long way from closing trying to pin seams on a Victorian style jacket without stabbing myself or attaching the jacket to the corset meaning I wouldn't be able to get it off. I cheated in the end and did all the adjustments from the front, it didn't look quite right, but I didn't break my collarbone twisting my arm round my back.

Good on you for trying. And don't forget that we're always happy to offer assistance and encouragement.

Good luck with it.

Jackie

Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Thanks Jackie. I certainly appreciate all the support! I'm dreading doing the sleeves, as I think I'm going to have to do them by hand, one seam at least. But at least I'm getting a bit of a break while waiting for more needles! :lol:

I'm terrible when it comes to making stuff for me. I never use patterns, just get a bit of an idea off something I've already got and go from there! You before Kelmarsh sounds just like the sort of thing I do! :lol:

steve stanley
Post Knight

Postby steve stanley » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:37 pm

Bogwoppit wrote:I'm terrible when it comes to making stuff for me. I never use patterns, just get a bit of an idea off something I've already got and go from there! :

You and me both!....I'm still working up the courage to try a pair of buckskin breeches for my 1750's outfit........
Steve

"Give me a tent and a kettle

Snowshoes and axe and gun

Send me up in Grand River

Steering by star and sun".

- Labrador Trapper's Song

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:50 am

Ah now come on Steve... if I can tackle a buff coat I'm sure you can manage breeches! :lol:

I've just got my needles in the post! Eeek!! Means I can't put it off any more!! :?

y.sobel

Postby y.sobel » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:38 am

you can do it, you know you can :lol: i'm cheering you on as i type - i have not the slightest ability in this direction (though my grandad, uncles and cousins are all tailors - gene obviously by-passed me!)but know that it will be brilliant. cant wait to see it.

Aislinn

Postby Aislinn » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:37 pm

lucy the tudor wrote:Now it is a perfect coat in my head- then it may be a horrible disappointment.
That is exactly how I feel about most projects currently 'on the shelf'. They all have the potential to be perfect until I get started and begin making mistakes.
The only thing that motivates me to start is remembering how happy I am when I finally finish a garment - so glad that it's finally finished that I'm not so pushed about where it isn't exactly as planned.
Congrats on starting Bogwoppit!

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:10 am

................and who should you call?
It's like ghost busters but with out the ghosts, technical vacuum cleaners and big yank car, so really not much like them at all (before Andy R says some thing).
You shouldn't be breaking needles :roll: I assume you are using an awl? Get you bits and bobs from Steve Stocker (Bowstock).
Ring me if you like before you ruin your hands and put some thing through a window.

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 am

Thanks hunny :wink:

I am using a very old Singer sewing machine, hence the broken needles! :lol:

I have now progressed to hand stitching for the arms though, and it's actually going very well so far... touch wood! I'm making the holes with the machine first.

The machine stitching looks b***dy awful, but it will do the job and nobody sees it under the armour anyway! :lol:

Sledge

Postby Sledge » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Coooo...................I can totally sympathise with you. I made my own buff coat - part machined and part hand sewn.

I think it took a couple of days to do (was about 10 years ago) - and it's still going strong. Mind you I did have some help from my incredibly patient other half!!!!

Best of luck with it - are you going to Belvoir? If so - I might see you there.............

Lozza

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:24 pm

Ooh yes I am Sledge :D Look out for the one with the falling apart coat, probably being run away with on the nuttiest horse!! :roll: :lol:

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:35 pm

Ok, I have just spent a very relaxing half hour sewing the sleeve of my coat... only to discover that it was the wrong half I was sewing!!
:roll: :lol:

Angie

Postby Angie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:00 pm

Sleeves are an a**e at the best of times. When I made a soldiers coat for Tod it took me 4 attempts to get it right. Then when he tried it on the elbow was on the inside :roll: This would be one reason why I don't make costume very often.

There was a young woman from Wantage, to whom the town clerk took advantage,Said the Borough surveyor "Indeed you must pay 'er, you've totally altered her frontage"

Bogwoppit

Postby Bogwoppit » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:10 pm

:shock:

*Runs to check elbows*

:lol:

m300572
Post Centurion

Postby m300572 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Then when he tried it on the elbow was on the inside

Just bend his elbows the other way!

(I did this wrong way assembly with a shirt once, carefully unpicked it, put it together with great care and sewed the bloody thing on the wrong way AGAIN! :oops: )

Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:10 am

Oh yes, there isn't a seamstress on this planet who has not cut out two left sleeves at one time or another.

The current 21st century fashions are the exception to historical sewing techniques - all seams on the outside and frayed edges on show, uneven hems and no linings.

k8 baker

Postby k8 baker » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:40 pm

So very true. Sleeves AHHHHHH! Plenty of exspletives used. Grumbles of course it was ment to look like that!

Live life to the full.
Fight for your rights.
Smile it is infectious.

Return to “Costumes”