Tablet woven braid

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Andy

Tablet woven braid

Post by Andy »

I'm hoping someone can help me with a question about tablet woven braid. When cutting and attaching for the trim of sleeves etc, how do you stop the two end pieces from freying and coming undone? I have tried sealing the ends with glue but I did not like this idea as it made the wool braid hard at the ends. I have hemmed the two ends by rolling the ends over onto themselves but this just made the section where the two ends meet very bulky.
What are some peoples solutions? Any help mostly appreciated.
A brave man is a free man.

Panda

Post by Panda »

One solution I use is let them fray. Leave an excess amount of weave at each end and have tassels. Folding over also works if you to very tight stitching to compress the braid.
Lord Panda, protector of all things cute & fuzzy!
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature to help him achieve world domination.

http://s4.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=72485

nathan

Post by nathan »

I tend to work the ends of the braid into the seam of the garment i'm attaching it to and stich through (across the width of) the braid very tightly at that point using a back-stitch (so the stitches come back through themselves), frays a little on he inside but only goes as far as my line oof tight stiches.

On collars and the like (where i have used a continual length of cloth and thus have no seam) i just double it back. Yes it's a bit bulky but i pop that around the back anyway so it isn't generally seen.

N.
http://www.conroidevey.co.uk
Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Lik you I've tried folding them back and found it bulky. I'm now wondering about weaving the braid to the length I need and leaving the ends loose and long. Then (using a needle), seiwng the lose threads back into the braid (especially the weft) to secure them. I've not tried it yet, has anyone else?
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Uncle Bulgaria

Post by Uncle Bulgaria »

With all my braids Heddle and tablet, I always sew my ends back into the work.

If there are a lot of threads, then you can miss the 4th or 5th by catching the end with the thread next to it. It can sometimes make it a tough but after a while you get the hang of it and it gets neater and easier.

UB
This life must be a test, if it were the real thing we'd have been given better instructions.

GinaB

Post by GinaB »

Working a braid into the seam if you can is one of the best ways- it takes a bit of planning though! And it's not always suitable for a wide band. Folding it back is the easiest, but of course, it does add bulk and can make it seem even more difficult. Try to fold back a larger amount - if you are only trying to fold back a normal sewing seam allowance width, it will be more difficult and bulky. If you fold back at least an inch, more if you can, you don't notice it as much.

It was a 'problem' in the past too - that's why on ecclesiastical items you often see the wide bands sewn on and then the raw edge of that braid covered by another, much thinner band (like a ribbon) - that band's edges can then be folded under - or sewn into the seam - much easier.

red razors

Post by red razors »

i've dipped the loose ends in wax before. it works nicely, you just have to make sure you keep it away from the more visible areas. the most recent time, i sewed them into the sleeve seam when i made up the sleeve.