Tom Norbury hat pictures?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Phillips

Tom Norbury hat pictures?

Post by Jackie Phillips »

I had a request from a lady about obtaining a Cavalier hat and pointed her in the direction of Tom Norbury. However he hasn't any photos to send her for her to check if it's the right thing and I wondered if anyone had any online photos of hats from Tom that she can look at.

Thanks for your help.

Jackie
Trust your instincts, whatever else you do.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

I wouldn't as they are not suitable for outside wear
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

Nigel wrote:I wouldn't as they are not suitable for outside wear
In what way? I have been wearing mine for about ten seasons. Much abused but still in reasonable shape.

Someone recommended that I treat it with shellac as a stiffener / waterproofing but have never bothered.
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

theres a lable inside John at least thats what I found on mine
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Post by Neibelungen »

It's probably that his supplier uses water based felt stiffener these days, so they tend to go limp in the rain

The older ones used shellac which survives better, but isn't used commercially to the same degree any more, hence the worning label.

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

You can always spray them with scotchguard, its not authentic, butthen the hats arent made the way they used to be so its a moot pont

grahamp

Post by grahamp »

I bought one of Tom Norbury's Tricorns about 3 years ago. I have worn it to all Pirate events, in all weathers, been rained on heavily & has never lost it's shape. All I've done is edged it with a cotton ribbing. Never bothered adding anything to make it waterproof,seems fine as is.
I didn't have any label inside saying not suitable for outside wear. Aren't hats meant to be worn outside? What type did you buy Nigel? Perhaps its only on a certain type of hat or maybe he's just covering himself.

I know the Cavalier hats you are talking about as a member of a pirate group I'm in has one. Cavalier hats are more or less the same as a Tricorn but with only one side up instead of three IMHO.
nihil amanti durum

Vira Chalich Tabor!!!

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

A lot of hats made these days have a lable put in saying 'not for wear in the rain' or similar, its pretty standard to some of the big manufacturers and they put it in so you can't complain if it does get wet and lose shape. Most hats can however take a fair amount of being rained on, so most people just ignore the labels :lol:

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

I thought that mosst shaped felt hats could be worn in the rain so long as you took some care over how you dried them, to help them keep their shape. I must check the inside of mine for such a label now...
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Most UK hats are made from wool felt not good in the rain etc

I now source mine from one Dirty Billy in Gettysburg proper felt and superb hats

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

What kind of felt does Dirty Bill used Nigel - the historical hatting industry in Lancashire used rabbit fur felt to make hats and I think beaver hats were felted beaver fur. Mind you, I don't know how well they stood up to bad weather - I am sure I have seen a reference to gentlemen sending their hats off to be 're-blocked', presumably to reshape them after they had been weathered into shapelessness (although possibly after the gentleman had inavertantly sat on them).
Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

John Waller
Post Knight

Post by John Waller »

I think Dirty Billy uses fur felt he has a great website http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.