early 18th century frockcoat

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Bucket

early 18th century frockcoat

Postby Bucket » Sat May 24, 2008 10:46 am

Just like to say thanks to Tuppence and Nige for the frockcoat that they have made for me. I've tried it on with the rest of my kit and it works a treat.
BTW thanks to nige for hand delivering the said item to me in Cheltenham, especially as they live up near hull(ish).
cheers
bucket

p.s. let me know where to send photos if you need them

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Sat May 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Yes please!
Lucy

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sat May 24, 2008 7:45 pm

Just got back

Kind of a tour of the country delivering due to royal mail scew ups

its very green and blacl and I think weighs about 4 kilos and has lots and I mena lots of buttons

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Sat May 24, 2008 8:23 pm

Sounds nice- also means I am one step closer to getting my frockcoat... :)

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun May 25, 2008 7:52 am

yours is a bit later and its a whole suit

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Mon May 26, 2008 9:11 pm

It's mostly GREEN.
It looked very splendid indeed this weekend, although the combination of Bucket's height, girth, new coat and muddy stockings meant that he could hide among the trees most efficiently. :lol:

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue May 27, 2008 11:28 am

He did ask for green and debs can be very literal at times

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue May 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Nigel wrote:He did ask for green and debs can be very literal at times

Oy, you were the one who checked the colour, and bought the fabric.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue May 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Some pictures, which are slightly dodgy, due to having been taken at 5-ish AM on Saturday

(and because I don't have a Bucket sized dummy (he is fairly huge - in length anyway)).
Attachments
Copy of work 006.jpg
The front
Copy of work 006.jpg (10.5 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
Copy of work 007.jpg
The side
Copy of work 007.jpg (9.5 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
Copy of work 001.jpg
And because you can'treally see the fabric in the skirts, the front when laid out flat on the fabric.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Tue May 27, 2008 1:57 pm

Tuppence wrote:
(and because I don't have a Bucket sized dummy (he is fairly huge - in length anyway)).

tell me about it, I tried to photograph a shirt I was making for Bucket a while ago on Gareth , who isnt exactly short himself, and he was swamped in it :roll:

GinaB

Postby GinaB » Tue May 27, 2008 7:04 pm

That's gorgeous!

how many buttons in the end?

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue May 27, 2008 7:32 pm

about 60 on two sizes all made by herself

Debs made it I merely babysat it on the train

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue May 27, 2008 10:40 pm

nearly 30 buttons on the front (they're all on there, but the bottom half of buttonholes are false, as per the original, so they're hiding).

plus two on back, 8 per cuff, and five per pocket (again, false buttonholes as per original - what the mania they had in the 18th c about tons of buttons on the pockets that they didn't use was all about I have no idea :roll: )

Miss Piggy

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue May 27, 2008 11:04 pm

What year is the origional approximately?

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm

Dear 2d re tons of buttons: on coats of the court the buttons were very twinkly. They were either metal or silk and silver/gold threads that sparkled in the sun or the candle-light. It was a form of jewellery with which to show off to everyone how rich you were. So the buttons were a status symbol. That is why there were so many that had no function.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed May 28, 2008 1:06 am

dave - date is early 18th century - can check the exact date tomorrow, but the book's upstairs.

frances - thanks for the tutorial, it was a joke - believe it or not, I do actually know the odd thing about costume. I recall once having to advise one of your customers because you weren't sure which lace was correct for her use. :D

Miss Piggy

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Wed May 28, 2008 2:04 am

Dear 2d,

If I remember the occasion the lace she chose was awful and totally unsuitable. But I am not one for telling someone so enthusiastic about something this - so the easy way out is to ask a passing person with knowledge what they think. Then I can wriggle out of giving my opinion and the lady's honour is satisfied.

So thank you for helping me get out of a potentially difficult situation.

Bucket

Postby Bucket » Wed May 28, 2008 10:43 am

dave -
the date for the coat is about 1715-1720 right at the end of golden age.
2d
I have attached the two outside buttons on the pockets on each side. Checked some original images and they seemed to do this on some
of them. Seems they liked either method.

GinaB

Postby GinaB » Wed May 28, 2008 12:33 pm

all those buttons are one thing (but then again I am rather weird and enjoy making buttons... ) but it's the buttonholes - false or not I don't envy you sewing all of those... :)

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed May 28, 2008 12:52 pm

I had a casaque to make for someone once, with 160 buttonholes, and buttons - there's this lovely little place just off Berwick Street that does both. I still had to sew on all the buttons though - pain in the **** Well done Tuppence for doing them yourself.

S

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Wed May 28, 2008 12:58 pm

She got to play with her new toy some sort of button hole chisel too

Bucket

Postby Bucket » Wed May 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Debs,
as regards to question about the use of the photos on the camp fire, feel free to use them, Cat was the photographer. Also you can take your own photos at Tatton if you want, as i am planning to wear the Kit in the evenings
Bucket

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Fri May 30, 2008 11:38 am

thanks

Tod
Absolute Wizard

Postby Tod » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Top kit Tuppance/Bucket, 18th century much bneeter than all that mudeating stuff :wink:
I heard that a waistcaot is next? My girlies making me an embroidered one as well (lien not solk though), there's nothing better than out posing the girls 8)

Henrik Bjoern Boegh

Postby Henrik Bjoern Boegh » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:08 pm

:shock: That green coat looks fabulous! I love all the buttons, and the colour is very nice.
I really like early 18th century coats with large cuffs.

And yes, I've now heard exactly what Tods Scottish red/black tartan justacorpe looks like and if it matches his description I'm allready quite envious. :roll:

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and True

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 am

Debs seesm to ahve been bitten by an 18th cnetury bug so waych out

Return to “Costumes”