Tudor Fabrics

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

green.greener

Tudor Fabrics

Postby green.greener » Wed May 14, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi, I ama csotume designer/maker and I currently have a project to recreate the costume from a Tudor Painting. The fabric I need has a tudor rose design with a kind of knot work pattern in between. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as time is running out for this. My budget is quite tight which I thought I better mention. Still, any suggestions welcome.
Also, I need some nice buttons fo ra doublet I have made. It is gold and rich cream. Again, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Take care
Kim
www.greenerlavelle.co.uk
Attachments
Painting.jpg
this is the painting!!!!!!

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed May 14, 2008 2:10 pm

I'm assuming you've tried all the usual suspects for fabrics?

Only places I can think of that may be able to help are Henry Bertrand and Humphries, but, of course, you'll have tried those. They're where I go for brocades.

Obviously the decoration should be emnbroidered for a true reproduction, and that mind be the only way to get the pattern if it has to be so specific.

What kind of buttons, and how historically correct?

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed May 14, 2008 5:07 pm

I suppose you have been in touch with these people? They have a fabric with Tudor roses on - you might have to embellish it to get the rest of the pattern you need.

http://www.mperkins.com/

S

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed May 14, 2008 6:49 pm

you know, it never even entered my head to suggest them

duh!

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

RIP Edward the avatar cat.

green.greener

Postby green.greener » Wed May 14, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi, thank you for the replies so far. I hadn't tried Henrys, in fact I hadn't heard of them!!! Looked them up on the net and I was very impressed. I think they might be out of my price range though. How much would you expect to pay do you think?
I couldn't find the other one on the internet.
I have some pewter looking buttons and I have tried those and they don't look too bad so I will probably use those!
Again, thanks for your help, all suggestions welcome!
Kim

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Wed May 14, 2008 8:48 pm

Just checked out Perkins - they have several Tudor Rose patterns, in many different colours.

Henry Bertrand is very expensive.

Have added Humphries to that list.

http://www.humphriesweaving.co.uk/

There is a list of fabric sources at the top of this section of the forum. Have you checked out all of them?

S.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Thu May 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Interesting jewellery. Would you say that she is wearing matching bracelets over the frock?

Karen Larsdatter

Postby Karen Larsdatter » Thu May 15, 2008 9:57 pm

frances wrote:Interesting jewellery. Would you say that she is wearing matching bracelets over the frock?

Sure.

Here's some descriptions of bracelets from around that time:
  • a peir of braceletts of golde, cont' 24 peces of goldesmythes worke; in twelve of them agathes, and in theother twelve two perles apece, per oz. 2 oz. 3 qrs. (New Year's Gifts 1577-1578)
  • a peir of brasletts of Cornelion hedds two small perles betwixt every hed, gar' with golde. (New Year's Gifts 1578-1579)
  • one paire of braceletts of golde, conteyninge eight peeces like knottes, and eighte rounde peeces garnished with with small sparkes of rubyes, pearle, and half pearles ... one paire of bracelettes of golde, conteyninge 21 peeces, garnished with opalles and small rubyes, whereof eight of those peeces are lyke snakes ... one paire of braceletts of golde, cont' 12 peeces, whereof 6 bigger and 6 lesser, garnished with pearle and garnetts(New Year's Gifts 1599-1600)

Return to “Costumes”