few more questions about tudor kit...

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

red razors

few more questions about tudor kit...

Post by red razors »

ok, just a couple of queries about my kit plans if people would be so kind. i don't have enough information readily available before i go cutting it out.

1) i have a tattoo on the back of my neck so i had planned on making a high-necked smock to hide it. i want middling-common; was the high neck associated with a particular class of person, or was it a rare style, or more prevalent? this is for mid to late 1500s or so. along the same lines, i was going to avoid any blackworking on the collar, but would a teeny bit of pleating [NOT a ruff] be too "high-up" for me?

2)i was planning on using this wool for my kirtle: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/r ... C02497.jpg
i know that some blues would be out of my league, so to speak - is this blue too dark?

thanks for any help!! :)

Annis
Post Knight

Post by Annis »

1) A high-necked shift should be fine for Elizabethan, but I don't know when exactly they came into fashion. I have a high-neck shift for peasant, which I've had since I started - 1569. When I say high-neck, it sits around the bottom of my neck.

I'll see if I can post a picture, if that helps!
"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Annis
Post Knight

Post by Annis »

Oh, and for a peasant, I reckon that blue would be too dark.

To play it safe, until you know more about the colours, stick with browns, greens, and other earthy colours.
"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

red razors

Post by red razors »

i half-figured the wool was out but i was hoping to get away with it :( i have grey that i can use instead.

this is what i mean by high-necked: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/bath/ ... 2front.jpg
nowhere near as fancy, obviously! but the high collar is the bit i am hoping to have.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

High necked smock-type garments seem to have become popular (i.e. appear in paintings) around the 1540's, and eventually have frills which appear to develop into fully fledged ruffs. As a "townswoman" I wear a high necked smock under my gown, as I don't want to wear a ruff - I have a scar on my neck which gets uncomfortable when covered.

S.

red razors

Post by red razors »

ok, i suppose the thing is i am starting from scratch when it comes to a lot of the tudor stuff. besides the tudor tailor [which i have], are there any books people would recommend for me to start with as regards the social/clothing history? i want to look nice [obviously :)] but do not want to start myself off on something too high-status or difficult to make. i have the general plan of smock, decent kirtle, sleeves, waistcoat and accoutrements, some of which i have already.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

If you are interested in commoner's clothes you could start with the following publications from the Stuart Press.

"Clothes of the Common Woman 1480-1580"
"Clothes of the Common Woman 1480-1580, Part 2, Making the Garments"

Website here.

For images use the Feast at Bermondsey by Hofnaegel and any contempary line drawings (can't remember artists names, sorry :oops: ).

Also look back through the Costume section here as there has recently been a discussion on colours and colour swatches.

Soph :D
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

red razors

Post by red razors »

thank you, much appreciated!