11thC wimple

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

loubee

11thC wimple

Postby loubee » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:33 pm

i poasted this in buy and sell and was kindly recomended to poast hear so hear gose agane.im looking for a 11th century wimple or some advice on making one . so id be grate full if any one could contact me.

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Postby Brother Ranulf » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:36 pm

Not sure that "wimple" and "11th century" go together, it's a heafodhrægl in Old English, I guess headrail in modern.

I would try the Regia Anglorum site, they have a great deal of useful info on that period:

http://www.regia.org/listings.htm

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:42 am

that's a bit picky, isn't it?

'wimple' is a clear enough word that you knew what was menat by it, as did I, so what's the point in being semantically pedantic?

anyway. pm me for any help you need.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

loubee

Postby loubee » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:41 pm

[quote="Brother Ranulf"]Not sure that "wimple" and "11th century" go together, it's a heafodhrægl in Old English, I guess headrail in modern.

opss not 11th C met 1100/1200 i get my centrys mixed.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:03 am

And there I was thinking that being picky is what we do best here (e-giggle)

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 am

To join in the pickiness...Brother Ranulph, you recommend the Regia site, where they use the word wimple in their description. :wink:
Lucy

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:26 pm

And there I was thinking that being picky is what we do best here (e-giggle)

fair point

:lol:

just irritates me when people try to ascribe specific words in that way, when it's completely unnecesary in terms of conveying meaning.

one of the reasons research into padding (for eg) is so difficult is that the victorians tried to do just that, so now there's all this needless confusion

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

GOK

Postby GOK » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:11 pm

lucy the tudor wrote:To join in the pickiness...Brother Ranulph, you recommend the Regia site, where they use the word wimple in their description. :wink:
Lucy

**snerkle!** :lol:

Tuppence wrote:
just irritates me when people try to ascribe specific words in that way, when it's completely unnecesary in terms of conveying meaning.

Agreed - it's pretty obvious what Loubee was referring to.

Do people do this kind of thing to demonstrate their perceived superior knowledge? To make the other feel stupid? Out of an overblown sense of, "I must educate you thickies"? Or is is it that they simply wish to help but don't realise that they come across as sounding completely tactless and boorish?

:?

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:11 pm

You are all thickets.

If it is a fabric headcovering it is a HEADSCARF. Mrs Queen wears one. That is all anyone needs to know becuase I DO know everything and have a Brownie badge to prove it.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:35 pm

Alice the Huswyf wrote:You are all thickets.

If it is a fabric headcovering it is a HEADSCARF. Mrs Queen wears one. That is all anyone needs to know becuase I DO know everything and have a Brownie badge to prove it.

Looks like somebody's beenat the Pepsi :D

Tuppence has just disolved into laughter trying to work out which badge

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:54 pm

Field cookery in a Spartan stylee, grade 8 (with laurels). And bar.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:03 am

see i was useless, I only got my hostess badge for making bad tea & coffee at coffee mornings....

nearly got my venture badge, but hey ho...

Miss Piggy

loubee

Postby loubee » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Brother Ranulf wrote:Not sure that "wimple" and "11th century" go together, it's a heafodhrægl in Old English, I guess headrail in modern.

I would try the Regia Anglorum site, they have a great deal of useful info on that period:

http://www.regia.org/listings.htm
just like to also be picky to add to this yes i got the time line rong but im a Norman rnactor so by the dates im renacting posibly be using a mixture of both norman and anglo so im gesing that that would also be incorect i cant say im right but thair certanly seembs to be intrgrathion of norman and frence taking morden words and words uesd at that time

Return to “Costumes”