Overstitching thread ...

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

RottenCad

Overstitching thread ...

Postby RottenCad » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:34 pm

Hi - I need about a kilometre of linen overstitching thread. Can anyone recommend a good supplier?

Thanks,

Cad

In a democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes ...

Rottencad
Ordinary Member, The Company Of St Margaret
http://www.cosm.org.uk

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Cad,

When you say overstitching thread do you mean thread for stitching visible on the outside of the garment. In which case what you are after is topstitching thread.

The next question is at effect are you after? Are you simply topstitching an edge or are making buttonholes or eyelets? The reason being that the weight of thread required will be different. What colour do you want as this will affect availability?

As soon as I know what's what I can make a recommendation on suppliers.

Soph :D [/img]

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:25 pm

Go on tell her

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

RottenCad

Postby RottenCad » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:10 pm

I'm ... um ... making a tent ...!

In a democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes ...

Rottencad

Hobbitstomper

Postby Hobbitstomper » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:11 pm

If sewing by hand then leather sewing thread would be fine. Not sure if it is any good if doing it on a machine. Leprevo is a good (cheap!) supplier of leather sewing stuff.

RottenCad

Postby RottenCad » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:55 pm

I will have to fess up here, then - I can't possibly hand sew the best part of 1000 meters of stitching. If for no other reason than that it will drive me out of what remains of my tiny mind, but mainly since I now lack the dexterity to really handle a needle and thread to any accurate extent (two car crashes have left me with nerve damage in all fingers), so I'm afraid it'll be a machine job.

And I couldn't possibly afford to pay a skilled artisan to hand sew it for me either!

TTFN!

Cad

Rottencad

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:01 pm

I am going to have to admit temporary defeat on this one as none of the people I use to source linen thread carry thread suitable for machining.

I have made a cursory web search and these people look as though they might be somewhere to start.

SOMAC Threads

Otherwise you might consider heavy duty cotton thread - if you are going to the TORM talk to the leather people, Vic James or Tod's Stuff for advice.

Hope this helps,

Soph :D

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:45 pm

You could contact The Handweavers Studio

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/9814/

mightbe able to help

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:47 pm

If you're machining use gutermann's topstitch.

It's synthetic, but the strongest thread they do.

Pretty much all linen thread won't machine cos it's too brittle and tends towards bumpiness.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Random Mumblings

Postby Random Mumblings » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:40 am

Tuppence wrote:If you're machining use gutermann's topstitch.

It's synthetic, but the strongest thread they do.

Pretty much all linen thread won't machine cos it's too brittle and tends towards bumpiness.

Hear hear. I bought some linen thread the other day and after about six attempts at sewing one line and having it break, shred and/or fray to bits on me I threw it in the bin. :evil:

I'd agree that Gutermann topstitch is the best, but it only comes on 30m spools, which may prove too costly for you. I'd suggest Empress Mills bonded 40's thread. You can buy 650 metres for £5.50 (plus carriage) and it is very good stuff, I regularly buy their threads and find the quality comparable to Gutermann. Link here: http://www.empressmills.co.uk/acatalog/Bonded_40.html

sally
Post Knight

Postby sally » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:16 am

A lot of linen thread will also need waxing before use for best results, might be worth trying if you are having it shred on you. I use a fine linen singles thread for handsewing but unless its used double (to balance the tendancy for the singles to untwist) and lightly waxed, its a horror, do that though and its lovely to use.

Neibelungen
Post Centurion

Postby Neibelungen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:21 am

If your after machinable linen threads, Somac is the place as they supply a lot of the materials for the shoe and fabric manufacturing industry.

Be aware they tend to be trade, so you might have to buy 10 or more reels.

Another source to try is Leather & Grindery Supplies in New Malden, who do a lot of threads and stuff for the shoe and saddlery industry. Some linen thread but mostly polyesters for leather sewing machines.

Return to “Costumes”