Cloak

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Panda

Cloak

Postby Panda » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:25 pm

Looking for a nice simple pattern for a full lenght cloak with a deep hood. Doesn't have to be period specific a friend of mine just wants something for looking good...

Lord Panda, protector of all things cute & fuzzy!
(\_/)
(O.O)
(><)
/_|_\
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature to help him achieve world domination.

http://s4.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=72485

BrendanGrif

Postby BrendanGrif » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:08 am

Panda,
I will see you over the weekend, at which point I will provide you no less than half a dozen patterns for cloaks (just to confuse the matter :) )

It all depends on budget and quantity of cloth available reall...Is this Goth gear or something else?

Brendan

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:37 am

A friend of mine decided that she wanted a cloak just because. And she bought 5m of the heavy green wool from Bernie at Flags... :D

(\_/)

(O.O)

(><)

/_|_\

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny to your signature to help him achieve world domination.

BrendanGrif

Postby BrendanGrif » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:44 am

what height is she?
[edit] and cloth width[/edit]
-presume she wants it ankle length

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:51 am

She's a wee bit shorter than me and I'm fairly sure the cloth is 60" but it could be slightly shorter. And yes ankle length.

(\_/)

(O.O)

(><)

/_|_\

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Apparently, if the width of the cloth is enough to cover the drop from your shoulder to your ankle, you draw a semi-circle on it, cut it out and hem it. Then call it a cloak. If not, you add a peice to the bottom (of the cloak) so that you can do the semi-circle.

This is (of course) for medieval. There are bound to be other ways to get other styles of cloak.

Good luck

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Panda

Postby Panda » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Colin Middleton wrote:Apparently, if the width of the cloth is enough to cover the drop from your shoulder to your ankle, you draw a semi-circle on it, cut it out and hem it. Then call it a cloak. If not, you add a peice to the bottom (of the cloak) so that you can do the semi-circle.

This is (of course) for medieval. There are bound to be other ways to get other styles of cloak.

Good luck

Oh I know that but the ion;y problem I find with those is getting them to hang properly at the front. I'm thinking more alonf the lines of a panneled fitted at the shoulders type job. :D
Thanks anyway. :D

(\_/)

(O.O)

(><)

/_|_\

Vermin

Postby Vermin » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:51 pm

I had a semi circular cloak, but to fasten it at the front it ended up a bit bunched around the neck & tight around the shoulders

Have gone for 3/4 of a circle now which is much more comfortable

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:06 pm

3 quarter circle works well, as does a shape that's two quarter circles with an eighth of a circle set in between them.

key to making it sit right over the shoulders is the cut a small circle out of the top edge for the neckline, regardless of how wide the circle (applies to full circle and more than circle cloaks too).

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:29 pm

Cloaks-wise the modern paper patterns tend to be good. And their hems come out level too, astonishingly so.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:51 am

oh - but having been looking at my nice new book on embroidery, a lot of the copes pictured are simple semi circles when laid out flat.

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."

Miss Piggy

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:18 am

Tuppence wrote:oh - but having been looking at my nice new book on embroidery, a lot of the copes pictured are simple semi circles when laid out flat.

Hijack in progress. "New embroidery book"? Details please.

S.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:38 pm

medieval embroidery book by the british museum press - probably not a new book, but new to me, and has some v pretty pictures :D

Miss Piggy

Sophia
Post Centurion

Postby Sophia » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:24 pm

If you mean the Kay Staniland one it is rather gorgeous isn't it.

Soph :D

aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

BrendanGrif

Postby BrendanGrif » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:41 pm

I bought it ...read it... and suddenly (as yet unused) embroidery thread and other related items appeared in my dwelling... :shock:
Cant remember (deny) buying them :!:

Brendan

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Postby Shadowcat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:40 pm

Ah, have the Staniland, used it, love it.

S.

Alice the Huswyf
Post Knight

Postby Alice the Huswyf » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:26 pm

Back to the cloak - If making a hoodless cloak, do the semi-circle method and you are left with two big triangles of waste in the corners. Trim them down by cutting off the curved edge, join them together to make a large, triangular insert. (this will leave you extra to make a hood if you wish, with the liriprpe styling already created by cutting the cloak hem out) Cut your semi circle in half vertically down the back. Sew one half to each side of your large triangular insert. Cut a neckhole in your top edge. 3/4 circle cloak, no waste. Half circle cloaks are uncomfortable becuase there isn't quite enough fabric to drape over the shoulder wihout pulling. 3/4 sorts this.

Random Mumblings

Postby Random Mumblings » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:01 pm

Sophia wrote:If you mean the Kay Staniland one it is rather gorgeous isn't it.

Soph :D

Ooh, I've just ordered that one. £1.58 from abebooks, which I thought was jolly bargainous, even moreso if it's a good book. :D

Return to “Costumes”