Death to moths!

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Death to moths!

Post by Shadowcat »

Is it my imagination or are moths particularly numerous this year? I have all the anti-moth substances I can find (except moth balls, which give me migraines,) lavender hanging up etc. Does anyone have a foolproof suggestion? (And yes, I know it's the grubs that cause the damage, but you don't see them!)

S. (Too much yummy fabric I suspect!)

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

hmm, I was just thinking I seem to have far less than usual, maybe they have gone to your place?

I'm contantly vigilant but I do usually find a moth or grub a month when riffling through the wool stash, little horrors :evil:

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Post by Brother Ranulf »

I protect both my woollens and my arrow fletchings with moth bags which include dried southernwood, lavender, thyme and fleabane. Touch wood, after seven years there has been no moth damage to feathers or cloth, so the mixture seems to work.
Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

sally
Post Knight

Post by sally »

I do find southernwood and lavender helpful, but nothing herbal is a complete success in a roomfull of fabric and yarn so far

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

I have more wool and silk fabric than I should have, plus feathers, although I binned the furs. Nothing is a permanent solution. I am reliably informed that major costume houses de-infest regularly, and still have problems because of the proximity of the costumes - that is one of my problems, too, although not on such a grand scale!

S

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

On a rota system, put garments in to poly bags and deep freeze them. Kills the vermin without chemicals.
Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Slightly difficult when you have two rooms full plus overspill - and that's just the costume business, not our personal clothes! That's why I was hoping for a different solution.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

S.

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Post by Skevmeister »

Cheryl

Just furtrhering teh idea from m, what about having a chest freezer in a garage and put the stuff that rotates in from your costume busines through the deep freeze and stuff in stock so that you eventually start a cycle through all of your stock?

Just a thought

Alixx
ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Small problem - not Cheryl! Oh, and by the way, no garage. I don't think Southwark Council would take kindly to me parking a chest freezer in the street - cost me £75.00 per annum in parking permits for a start!!
S.

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Post by ViscontesseD'Asbeau »

Been working with fibres for nearly 30 years and have never lost a single thing to moths. I don't bother doing anything, either, to be honest. That's not much use is it? :D I dunno what I'm doing right - I break all the rules too. Often store raw wool and silk in polythene, you name it. Maybe lucky.

That said, I just seen those JML (I know) vacuum bags advertised - am guessing they're in Woolworths? - 2 big see through bags for around £10 I think and you use your hoover to suck the air out. I doubt anything could get into one of those? Might be worth a try for your more valuable stuff but I do wonder if it isn't exaggerated as a problem, a bit as I say in nearly 30 years, not lost an ounce of wool, silk or anything else to any critter. Lost plenty to rampaging cats and kids. Or maybe we just have better hygiene these days or something that makes houses less of a nice habitat for them?

m300572
Post Centurion

Post by m300572 »

Shadowcat wrote:Slightly difficult when you have two rooms full plus overspill - and that's just the costume business, not our personal clothes! That's why I was hoping for a different solution.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

S.
I can see that as a problem - unless you can get access to a walk in freezer and do it a vanful at a time (which, I think, is how people like the National Trust demoth their carpets and curtains)
Wilkes and Liberty, Wilkes and the Forty Five

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Maybe I could............if I had their budget :lol:

S.

Skevmeister
Post Centurion

Post by Skevmeister »

OK I am a dumbass, wrong person sorry and yes parking afreeze would be aproblem :D.

Alixx
ad augusta per angusta

No Hamster's, Moderators, Animals, or Re-Enactors were harmed in the making of this post.

Skev keeping it real since '86

Apathy Ain't A Policy

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Post by Type16 »

Skevmeister wrote:OK I am a dumbass, wrong person sorry and yes parking afreeze would be aproblem :D.

Alixx
Observation............
at least it could not get wheel clamped :lol:

Crawl back under my stone now!
Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

You don't know our traffic warders - er I mean wardens! :evil:

S

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

I live not far from Shadowcat and round our part of the world they would clamp your wheelie bin if they thought they could get away with it.

Soph :twisted:
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Catherine of Gwent

Post by Catherine of Gwent »

Try Asda for the vacuum bags. They do a large one for £3. I managed to get a double and two single duvets into one. Shrunk it down to the size of - I can't think of a description, but needless say it took up less space!

I keep my wool in large plastic containers with lids, with a mixture of lavendar, cedar wood and moth balls (don't suffer the migraine problem!).

Ann
The Freemen of Gwent
www.freemenofgwent.org.uk

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

You can order commerially made herbal moth deterrent bags from independent dry cleaning shops. The name begins with a C, but I cannot go on the hunt as the bunny-rabbit is sitting on my lap at the moment.

I had a sample couple. No moths in the wool - but a huge outbreak in the furs - which went off to be recycled by some Vikings who I don't think realised what they had taken on.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

If you mean "Colibri" I have that all over the house - also stuff in sweetie wrappers, beginning with a B. Fortunately they both smell reasonable and don't give me migraines.

S.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Oh dear, since you asked the question I have to assume that you have found that Colibri is not 100% effective too.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

That's right - nothing is 100% I'm afraid - Colibri is the best so far though.

S.

red razors

Post by red razors »

i find random mummified moths in my kit [and my civvies too] all the time but somehow none of it is eaten... i made some "authentic" mothballs last year - lavender oil, rosemary, thyme and cloves knotted up in muslin. when i get some serious cash i will be getting a cedar chest.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Try equal weights of Lavender, Rue, Rose Petals and Cedar Shavings with a 1/2 weight of Orris Root to fix. Put into medium to loose weight small linen bags and distribute among kit and fabric stash.

If you can't get Cedar Shavings (I got mine from Pete the Pong though best to order in advance if you want quantity) then try adding a veryen't generous quantity of cedar oil.

So far so good I haven't had any moth though I would add that the only place I have to store my kit and fabric a really rather warm - I know this isn't ideal but beggars can't be choosers.

The other important thing with a fabric stash is to check it over at least twice a year.

Soph :D
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

frances
Post Knight

Post by frances »

If someone would care to make up a few authenti-bags of anti-moth stuff I would be happy to buy some from you. At areasonable cost, of course. So who is going to get my well-earned cash then?

auldMotherBegg

Post by auldMotherBegg »

You can sometimes find cedar shavings at pet supply shops... they sell it for hamster and gerbil cages. I have several bags stuffed with it and hung from the railing in the cupboard where much of my kit is stored. It seems to do a good job and smells lovely.

Mice are much more our problem. They can wreak havoc in all the stuff stored in the van. (Including the van seats and rubber hoses under the bonnet.) Bl**dy cat! I knew we fed her too much! :evil:

BTW, what is 'southernwood'? Whe you first mentioned it, I assumed you meant cedar wood, but now I'm not sure... :?

MedicKitten

Post by MedicKitten »

At our local store you can get cedar balls to stuff into clothes...I hadn't thought of lavender! I do make sure to air everything out on the line (benefits of living on a windy hillside with no neighbors) before putting it away, and it seems to be working. Did throw out all the old furs though. they were DISGUSTING!
Ita erat quando hic adveni.

frances
Post Knight

Post by frances »

I was having a rootle around the boxes of thingys in the loft last night and disturbed some wildlife. I found a queen wasp. I managed to flap it down the stairs to the room below, and then got distracted by clothing - a very happy thing to be filling my mind, in my opinion. Anyway, this morning, there was the wasp lurking on the floor, so I got the glass jar I keep ready for spiders, and captured the beastie. Right now she is in the jar, in the dark under a bookcase. So now what do I do with her?

Do I starve her to death, let her go somewhere away from the house or what?

lidimy
Post Knight

Post by lidimy »

Slip a piece of *paper under the jar then take her quickly to the door/window and boot her out! :D

* several pieces if her sting is long enough to penetrate....
'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Post by Brother Ranulf »

Auld Ma Begg,

Southernwood is a herb of the Artemisia species ( A. abrotanum), related to Wormwood (that's chernobyl in Russian!), mugwort and several others. I grow it in my monastic herb garden, it has a wonderful lemony smell but is apparently hated by most insects including flies, beetles and moths.

It's a hardy perennial, reaching 20 to 30 inches each season but dying back to its crown every autumn. Infused as a tea, the leaves make a reasonable tonic. Photo at:
http://www.morningsunherbfarm.com/image ... rnwood.JPG
Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

auldMotherBegg

Post by auldMotherBegg »

Thank you, Brother Ranulf!

PS. Your garden looks lovely!