FANY ATS

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Marghec

FANY ATS

Post by Marghec »

Hi, I am looking to make a Khaki Great War FANY/ATS uniform, with both skirt and riding trousers/habit. I know that there were many locally made variants. Will someone advise me where I may find originals to buy, hire or borrow to copy, or where I may find patterns?

Thanks,

John Tremelling

the_weaker_vessel

Post by the_weaker_vessel »

I did some research on this while I was with Waller's (SK) I found that there were no patterns for the earlier riding habit, FANY members were usually very affluent and provided all their uniform, usually horses and sometimes cars too. There is some statement that the early FANY were refused by the army, but were so determined they made their own wat to the front - before the british army got there.

I bought a pattern for a 1910 skirt which looks correct and made a mock up in cotton. It depends whether the habit will be ridden in and whether your rider is happy to ride in a full skirt. My mock up had a hidden split so that the rider is 'safe' on a side-saddle.

I left Waller's before I got much further, but I still have the pattern and (I think) the mock up.
This wireless keyboard can't keep up with my typing and can't spell or do grammer.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Marghec

FANY ATS

Post by Marghec »

Thanks for your reply. I know that much of FANY kit was home made or private prurchase, and we do have a full skirt which is used to ride side saddle. What I am seeking is a pattern for khaki tunic as used on the Western Front, where I know many gallant ladies went at their own expence, riding skirt/trousers of a type which I would call cullotes, and the soft floppy cap. I know that we could make them up from photos and never be called 'wrong', but a pattern or original to work from would be a better provenance.

Thanks again,

John T