Court Shoes?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Zellah

Court Shoes?

Post by Zellah »

I am hoping someone on here may be able to help me. I am desperately searching for a pair of court shoes, a la Marie Antoinette, though they do not have to be anywhere near as elaborate. What is important is the very distinctive heel shape, that fans out at the top and bottom and narrows in the middle. I am finding it completely impossible to track down any costumier that has this type of shoe available. For info, I am based in the UK so any supplier you can recommend would have to be willing to ship out here.

Example: http://pics.livejournal.com/elevenwords/pic/001dhfx8
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense..."

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Most shops that sell dance shoes sell a similar shoe to the one you are describing. Also many shops that sell bridal shoes. You could try Anello's, Freed's, Porselli's for starters, all in London. There are also shoe makers listed on various living history sites who make to measure, a pricier option, probably.

S.

Zellah

Post by Zellah »

Through another community I got directed to these shoes which seem rather ideal for my purposes, if I can manage to dye them. It leaves my options open to customise them in any way I want.

Any recommendations on the best way to dye silk shoes?

Jim

Post by Jim »

Zellah wrote:Any recommendations on the best way to dye silk shoes?
Well I used to do ballet for a few years and bought a pair of silk ballet shoes from my local dance shop, who recommended using permanent marker pens to dye them a particular colour. It does seem to work quite well but can take a few coats to get a deep tone.
www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Zellah

Post by Zellah »

Jim wrote:Well I used to do ballet for a few years and bought a pair of silk ballet shoes from my local dance shop, who recommended using permanent marker pens to dye them a particular colour. It does seem to work quite well but can take a few coats to get a deep tone.
What concerns me is that I will be using these for LARP events and therefore be wearing them outside. I'm going to need something that will stand up to a range of weather conditions.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Zellah wrote:
Jim wrote:Well I used to do ballet for a few years and bought a pair of silk ballet shoes from my local dance shop, who recommended using permanent marker pens to dye them a particular colour. It does seem to work quite well but can take a few coats to get a deep tone.
What concerns me is that I will be using these for LARP events and therefore be wearing them outside. I'm going to need something that will stand up to a range of weather conditions.
Hmmm. I suspect that the moment you get them wet, a percentage of the colour would leak out all over the place....But that would probably be true of any dye. The silk should remain the colour you inked them, though.

Zellah

Post by Zellah »

Probably the best system would be to dye them and then run them through a delicate wash in the machine to see how much comes out and get rid of any excess. Unfortunately, I'm requiring a pair of black shoes and the last thing I want is to end up with a dirty grey.

Jim

Post by Jim »

Zellah wrote:Probably the best system would be to dye them and then run them through a delicate wash in the machine to see how much comes out and get rid of any excess. Unfortunately, I'm requiring a pair of black shoes and the last thing I want is to end up with a dirty grey.
Maybe spraying them with a fabric sealant might help, but I'm clutching at straws now!

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Ask the supplier what they would recommend. I used to dye shoes when I worked in theatre, but that is in the dark ages, and the stuff isn't the same any more. Fabric dyes might well do it, but some of them you have to use really hot, and then the shoes might shrink!

Why don't you get black shoes from a different shop, or one of the ones I suggested will almost certainly do them in leather which is much easier to dye.

S.

Zellah

Post by Zellah »

Shadowcat wrote:Ask the supplier what they would recommend. I used to dye shoes when I worked in theatre, but that is in the dark ages, and the stuff isn't the same any more. Fabric dyes might well do it, but some of them you have to use really hot, and then the shoes might shrink!

Why don't you get black shoes from a different shop, or one of the ones I suggested will almost certainly do them in leather which is much easier to dye.

S.
I am trying to avoid London shoe retailers, especially for leather shoes since my budget just won't stretch to something like that. The upside of going through dance/bridal shoes stores is that shoes tend to be cheaper. The downside is that they are mostly in white/ivory!

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

I presume you have tried your local dance wear shop in Beckenham?

and this http://www.ufindus.com/dancewear_and_dance_supplies

S.

Zellah

Post by Zellah »

It is a very small shop and exceedingly limited in its range - I popped in there yesterday. It was pretty much tap shoes, ballet slippers and plimsoles.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

I've dyed a pair of canvas baseball boots black (the old 'chuck taylor' type) with the cheapo instant shoe polish stuff that comes in a bottle with an aplicator sponge on top. Surprisingly it worked perfectly on fabric and didn't come off in the wet, although the first time I wore them they stained my toes slightly that came off in the shower. Actualy I still wear black baseball boots for work in summer and top up the colour to keep them smart.

Don't know how it would do on a silky fabric though.
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Morgan Hubbard & Kevin Garlick may be interested / able to help.

Otherwise, Annello & Davide or Baboucha Shoes.

One thing picked up from what you originally wrote, though, you may have been looking for the wrong suplier - you don't need a costumer, you need a shoemaker.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

Or the other option is to re-cover the shoes. Wedding shops will sometimes have them re-covered in a particular fabric to match a dress. It used to be one of those things people did themselves to dress up old shoes.

I think that you just warm the shoe slightly and prize the glued on sole away all the way roung, then glue your fabric in place and tuck it under.

anyway, a 30 second google search on 'shoe covering' shows that people still do this for a hobby and there seem to be 'how to' sites. so covering them in a black fabric might be another way.
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Theotherone

Post by Theotherone »

Zellah wrote:Through another community I got directed to these shoes which seem rather ideal for my purposes, if I can manage to dye them. It leaves my options open to customise them in any way I want.

Erm... sorry if I'm being rude, but did you notice the bit at the bottom where it says they can be covered in your own fabric? Or is that not an option?
Because there would have to be three of them.

Zellah

Post by Zellah »

Theotherone wrote:
Zellah wrote:Through another community I got directed to these shoes which seem rather ideal for my purposes, if I can manage to dye them. It leaves my options open to customise them in any way I want.

Erm... sorry if I'm being rude, but did you notice the bit at the bottom where it says they can be covered in your own fabric? Or is that not an option?
It is a tempting option but I'm trying to keep costs down as much as possible and I'm guessing that will add quite a bit to the final price. As a last resort, it's do-able though.

Theotherone

Post by Theotherone »

They also offer to dye them for you, which would possibly work out cheaper in the long run.

http://www.weddingshoesdirect.co.uk/
Because there would have to be three of them.

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Post by Marcus Woodhouse »

Jim? Hussite scum? Ballet? :shock:
OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Jim

Post by Jim »

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Jim? Hussite scum? Ballet? :shock:
Absolutely. I have pics to prove it! Mind you, I do have a bit of a tight legwear fetish :oops: Hence needing decent medieval hose so badly :wink:

And I'm a blue belt in Judo and a Gold Medallist. Go figure!

Actually, both dance and martial arts training help a lot during swordplay.

(OMG We've arrived in central America already) :wink:

auldMotherBegg

Post by auldMotherBegg »

"Run them through the machine on a delicate wash..." :shock:

I would be very careful doing this, as I would personally hate to see my hard earned cash falling apart in the machine!

the_weaker_vessel

Post by the_weaker_vessel »

Dylon do a satin shoe dye http://www.dylon.co.uk/colourcentre/sho ... nchart.htm

I also used Dylon's free service years ago to make a dye to match material I sent to them, it only cost me the price of the dye (normal price for one bottle) and postage. If they still do it that would be your best bet.
This wireless keyboard can't keep up with my typing and can't spell or do grammer.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Post by frances »

Zellah, What size feet do you have? I have a few pairs of wedding shoes with the correct style heels, to go. And I am only down the road from you.

Hinny Annie

Post by Hinny Annie »

I would contact these people, www.np-historicalshoes they make fab shoes mainly 14th century but they are open to all historical suggestions they will be trading at the International Living History Fair, which is there only UK trading event this year, at the moment.

Sorry if I come over as gushing but they are seriously fab, and they are such nice people.

Sorry should be .com on the end :oops:
Last edited by Hinny Annie on Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boga Sceal Straele - a bow shall be for arrows

www.apieceofhistory.co.uk

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

"Run them through the machine on a delicate wash..."

I would be very careful doing this, as I would personally hate to see my hard earned cash falling apart in the machine!

missed this

I too say :shock: :shock:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.