Musketeer-ing (sort of!)

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Sir Rupert

Musketeer-ing (sort of!)

Postby Sir Rupert » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi folks

It's actually Meg here posting from Rupert's account (I've forgotten my password and it was re-set, but I can't seem to get the new password to work) - anyway, we're married now, so everything he owns is mine, including his identity :twisted:

Anyway... I'm looking into the possibility of doing some light-hearted musketeer-ing this year, in an 'Oliver Reed' rather than an '100% authentic' sort of a way. Lots of swashbuckling. As it's going to be purely a fun diversion from 14th/15th century normality I don't want to spend too much on a costume, and I simply haven't got time to make anything. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know there are stays involved (which is a bit modern and dangerously free-thinking for my muddyevilist head), and a shift, of course, but after that my knowledge and inspiration disappear when it comes to the outer layers!

Any recommendations for sources or traders would be much appreciated, bearing in mind budgetary constraints as above!

Thanks so much, everyone.

Meg (not Rupert!)

"Unaccustomed as I am to public speaking..."

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:48 pm

I'm having a big costume sale soon, probably at the end of March, after Easter, unless everything sells beforehand, hehehe.

I can do you something to make a jolly hat, feathers for same £2.50 big, £1.50 small, 18th century style chemise for around £8, gathered cotton petticoat for around £15-£20 and bright green brocade waistcoat for around £10 (you do not need to wear a corset unless you are going for the sexy pirate look. And corsets are expensive anyway). Cannot do jacket or pistols though. Is this within your budget? postage extra.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Myself and Chris-y-clept-John-Barber (I hope that I got that right) are hoping to do the same thing in the near future. I've been picking up its of costume at fairs for a few years, whenever I could spare the money. I also got the 17th C costume pamphlet as a cheap leed in. Unfortunately there is no cheap way to get get size 13 bucket top boots, so they cost a bit, but they are SOOO pretty :D

Good luck

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir Rupert

Postby Sir Rupert » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:57 am

Oops

Sorry Frances, my fault entirely, I didn't explain myself at all well! I should have said that I'm going to be a girl, in (probably) noble civilian kit (Milady-style). Such a shame, as your brocade waistcoat sounds beautiful!

Unfortunately my costuming knowledge stops rather abruptly at about 1490, so I really have very little idea of what I'm looking for. Colin, does your 17thc costume pamphlet cover ladies' kit, and, if so, do you know where I can get a copy? Thankfully size 13 bucket-top boots won't be required (phew)!

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Postby Colin Middleton » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:59 pm

There's a men's handbook and a women's handbook. You can usually buy them from a number of traders at TORM and NLHF. I think it's "Petty Chapman" who writes them, but I'm sure I've seen them at "Paul Meekin Books" and others too.

They're under £5 each, simple photocopied A4 things, but a cheap and easy start point.

Good luck

Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Sir Rupert

Postby Sir Rupert » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks Colin, I'll have a look at the market.

Meg

Return to “Costumes”