Horse Tack

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

BraveAnimal

Horse Tack

Postby BraveAnimal » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:17 pm

I am looking for info on horse tack. It is not very hard finding medieval stuff, but I would like to find more on viking and celtic stuff, dare I ask Friesian maybe?

I have found some interesting refs.

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/horses.htm
This one evenhas a saddletree, though i can see how it would fit on the horse? I love the bridle fittings, but where would they go on the bridle. Oh and the collars are just stunning!

Looking for the sheepskin'saddles' I found this:
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/graphics/tapstry2.jpg

and this:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.asp?manu=ITA&code=6029
See no 7
Yes.. it is a toy! but to me it look very much like the Viking one above, with the breatscollar and all?

It's also hard to find good ref's on bridles and such.. Any one?!
Last edited by BraveAnimal on Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Futue te ipsum et caballum tuum

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:09 am

For later viking stuff you oculd start by looking at the bayeux tapestry; although "Norman" alot of the form is going to be the same. Other than that I can't suggest any pictorial sources. I know alot of the viking burials often included horses and tack, so that might provide clues. I *believe* that snaffle bits were quite common at this time.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Aw, it's not easy, is it?

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:18 pm

Jep, been looking at bayeux.. love that!

I read somewhere that stirrup weren`t invented till the seventh century?

I foudn a photo here of peeps on horses, I think they are wearing the roman type fourhorned ones..

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:31 pm

The stirrups date is debatable really. They are believed to have originated in China in the 5th or 6th century I think. When they spread to Western Europe is obviously a little later.

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:08 pm

ah rigth.. I have this viking book on mostly everything and there`s a drwing in there of aviking horseman.. with stirrups! but it doesn`t specify a date.. It must be around 1000 I suppose..

This reenactment is hard work! I say!

Lucy Cassidy

Postby Lucy Cassidy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:09 pm

What a gorgous horse you have! (Er, I assume that's not a self-portrait?)

"Cut once, but measure thrice"

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:14 am

Thanks.. no not a selfprotrait.. it is my horse.. :oops:

Lucy Cassidy

Postby Lucy Cassidy » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:06 pm

He/she (can't tell from here) looks just like Pollyanna from Wilf's place in Wales, aaah, happy days. I just love 'em hairy and heavy, can't be doing with these delicate nervous highly-bred TBs.

My riding days are over, but if they weren't, I'd be fighting for a chance to ride your boy! (or girl!) :)

Sorry I can't add anything of use to the Great Tack Debate, other than "nosebands are a very recent invention" .

"Cut once, but measure thrice"

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:23 pm

nosebands are a very recent invention

Look at the bayeux tapestry; there are loads of them. They do seem to go out of fasion in the late 14th - early 15th C though.

Medicus Matt
Post Knight

Postby Medicus Matt » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:02 pm

A pair of stirrups turned up in one of the Vendel burials in Sweden, which makes them somewhere between 550 and 800AD. Mid-Late 8th century date seems most likely.

Current thinknig is that the Chinese had stirrups by 2nd Century at the latest (developed from a single mounting stirrup which may have been around since 2nd Century BC).

It was probably first seen in Europe either when Atilla invaded in the 5th Century or with the advent of the Magyar invasions in the 7th century.

Got lots of early medieval horse stuff (coz we've two horses), so PM me and I'll e-mail you some piccies.

"I never said that I was here to help."

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:50 pm

Lucy Cassidy wrote:He/she (can't tell from here) looks just like Pollyanna from Wilf's place in Wales, aaah, happy days. I just love 'em hairy and heavy, can't be doing with these delicate nervous highly-bred TBs.

My riding days are over, but if they weren't, I'd be fighting for a chance to ride your boy! (or girl!) :)

Sorry I can't add anything of use to the Great Tack Debate, other than "nosebands are a very recent invention" .

He, (gelding) ahha I do to like `em hairy&heavy! And he`s is only getting hairy-er! You are very welcom to have a ride on him if you are ever in the NL. Or when the off chance is there that I might show up at Hastings or something. If your riding days are over due to a bad bakc, you might want to consider a gaited horse??? I wish mine was gaited.. he`s pretty smooth, but not gaited.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:06 pm

Hi Braveanimal,
Got some photos off E-Bay last year.
Never got around to buying the items though.
If you would like to PM me your e-mail address, I will forward the pictures to you.
Here is a sample.
Attachments
EXTREMELY RARE 16 cent MEDIEVAL STIRRUP UK FIND.jpg

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

Chickun

Postby Chickun » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:50 pm

Nice...Stirrups are pretty rare, and that's a nice example. I had the opportunity of a 14th Century one a few months back for £35 which for some reason I didn't take up! :roll:

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:50 pm

I saw some stirrup here in holland, they were soo fab looking!! I will have to track down the maker of those. They were -how shall I say- tapadero style that would prevent the foot from slipping through.

Though those on e-bay are nice too! Keep me away from e-bay it is bad for my purse..

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:48 am

Just thought that I would pop in and admire the horsey. Ooo, lovely creature. Please give him a good nose rub from me.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:35 pm

Re. Foot going through stirrups.

Last year got some (plastic) safety stirrups -- medieval style -- for our daughter. Full adult size.

OK, they are plastic, but could glue / rivet leather over them to make them look authentic.

Very safe for the rider -- any footwear can be used -- and you can easily fall out of them! Also, seriously light weight.

Bought from a place in Wales.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

BraveAnimal

Postby BraveAnimal » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:46 pm

I`m getting real true tapaderos on my westernsaddle! hurrah! I ove the look of them.

*meanwhile rubbing nose of horse, who falls asleep like usual, I`m tellin`ya, if horses could pur*

But those metal `tapaderos`lookes brilliant, even had those mille de fleur type holes in them. I will take a shot next time I see them.

Return to “Costumes”