Fabric shops/market near Sheffield?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Fabric shops/market near Sheffield?

Post by Shadowcat »

Does anyone have any suggestions? A customer of mine has a sister living in Sheffield who needs a source for inexpensive fabrics, 18th century dress fabrics in particular.

Thanks.

S.

Nigel
Post Knight

Post by Nigel »

Leeds market
There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

As I am from "daan sarf", can you give me any more info please, so I can pass it on. I haven't been to Leeds in over 30 years, so have no idea whether it's a big market, small, weekends only etc. Thanks for the suggestion though - it's a start.

S.

seamsmistress

Post by seamsmistress »

She could try direct knitting & sewing on Attercliffe Road, Sheffield - they stock a range of dress fabrics.

I believe John Lewis still stock some cloth, but the choice was pitiful last I looked a couple of years ago.

Alternatively, Barnsley market and Doncaster Market have textile stalls. Not sure of the days for Barnsley Market, but Doncaster is Tues, Fri and Saturday and there is a dress textile stall or two and haberdashery.

A bit of sad state of affairs up here in the North, I'm afraid, unless you're prepared to travel.

She might do well to look into the Indian sari shops........they quite often hold a good range of dress fabrics? Depends what material and weight she plans to use, i suppose.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

leeds market is the biggest permanent market in europe - every day ('cept weds) - has four or five vg sewing / fabric stalls, incl one that does lots of silks (think he's there sats - outside) - and several inside.

about half and hour on the train from sheffield - the market's just by the bus station at the other end of town (but if she were to get the x33 bus sheffield - leeds, it'd drop her at the right end). - or of course there's a car park by the market - always assume people are on public transsport cos I am.

also reccommend bradford for the indian shops - especially bombay stores (they have a website if you google). a bit further, but worth it. as long as you're not put off by being the only white person in the shop!
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

also, come to think of it, wakefield market has a few sari (etc) fabric sellers. years since I went there, so you'd have to check the days etc, but they were vg, and v cheap. they do try to sell you it as an outfit to be made up, but are happy to do it in metres if you explain that it's for western clothes.
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Matt_D

Post by Matt_D »

I live in Shuff itself, tell her to get herself down to Hillsborough, there is a good cheap fabric store just off the main shopping stretch where I've bought plenty of materials for reenactment garb. She may have to hunt around a bit but I bought some fantastic material there dirt cheap.

Neil of Ormsheim

Post by Neil of Ormsheim »

Dewsbury market on a Tuesday has also been good in the past.
Lurv 'n' Kizzez

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

Thanks everyone - I'll pass on the information to her. (I'm hinting that I could get fabric, but nothing in London is affordable in her range!).

S.

Colin Middleton
Absolute Wizard

Post by Colin Middleton »

Matt_D wrote:I live in Shuff itself, tell her to get herself down to Hillsborough, there is a good cheap fabric store just off the main shopping stretch where I've bought plenty of materials for reenactment garb. She may have to hunt around a bit but I bought some fantastic material there dirt cheap.
He is quite a nice little shop, very re-eanactor friendly too.

There's supposed to be a place out at Goldthorpe (Waltons I think) and Bradford and Huddersfield still have fabric industries (or so I'm told), so you may be able to locate remenant shops there.

As for foreign fabrics, I'm told that a lot of the Pakistanis from Leeds and Bradford come to Sheffield to buy their outfits from Arshad Textiles in Fir Vale (just don't wander off the main shopping areas, it has a bad rep down there).

Good luck.
Colin

"May 'Blood, blood, blood' be your motto!"

Matt_D

Post by Matt_D »

One tip about Arshad Fabrics, they don't sell fabric by the metre, you have to buy a sari length or a whole suits worth.

Quayn

Post by Quayn »

Colin Middleton wrote:
There's supposed to be a place out at Goldthorpe (Waltons I think).
Aye it's on the main road and easy to find, open late on a few nights a week last i heard. very good for beginning medieval kit, wools and linens but not sure as to anything else. they also have a stall on the Doncaster markets so easy to catch them about. Very helpful and tend to over cut to the range of a half metre now and again, so generous too.

Q.