What's your 'world record' for a sewing job?

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

What's your 'world record' for a sewing job?

Post by ViscontesseD'Asbeau »

Handsewing a pair of bodies at the moment, and sewing the odd bone (in this case, bents) channel when I get the chance. Must now be in the second or third month and I haven't got half way. (Just realised that made me sound like Hattie Jacques and honestly I'm not, just a slow handsewer!!!) I can't work flat out on it as am doing several other things simultaneously, but even if I could... because it's a fully boned thing and the channels are only a quarter of an inch apart, it would still take forever!

I'll have the satisfaction of knowing it was all handstitched when I finish, etc etc even if it is only my underwear and no-one sees it anyway, blah blah etc etc but it's getting to the 'soul destroying' stage right now (I was having the time of my life with it at first!!!) People spend this long/longer making a jack, but at least they get to show it off after so there's some glory in it!

I bet by the time it's finished I'll have been working on it at least 4 mths.

Anyone else done any marathon jobs? What were they and how long did they take?

I read about someone taking over a year to knit a pair of 17thC stockings that wore a hole in the first day she wore them, once... What would that feel like :lol:

Eric the well read

Re: What's your 'world record' for a sewing job?

Post by Eric the well read »

ViscontesseD'Asbeau wrote:Handsewing

Anyone else done any marathon jobs? What were they and how long did they take?
Gini spent ages doing this one:- and she's FAST.http://www.chimera-costumes.co.uk/slide ... w.php?c=77

It was a while ago, but I still love it!

Regards
Eric
Last edited by Eric the well read on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kate/bob

Post by kate/bob »

I got the fabric and pattern for 17th c stays for Christmas and I've only done half of the boning channels done and as I've just had a baby I think it'll be a while before I get any more done!

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

I don't know if this counts but.....

Post by lucy the tudor »

It isn't a re enactory thing, but I started a patchwork leather cushion when I was in my first year at uni, then did bits on it over the years. I finally finished it two years ago- 21 years later.
It is very comfortable. :oops:
Lucy
lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, *rse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

white c18th coat - started about 6 years ago (embroidered). flippin' silver stuff.

joined by c17th jacket started about 18 months ago - flippin' tent stitch

and an early medieval embroidered picture for the tent started around the same time - is around 14" x 10" or so - have done about a square inch. Flippin' split stitch.

although the record has to be the tea set (table cloth & napkins) that I started when I was around 12. Still get them out and add another rose every so often. Never know, might get them finished in time to be used at my funeral. :roll:
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

Not a sewing job or a world record, but currently trying to knit Tudor stockings. Basing them on Gunnister but due to my inability to measure correctly (never have this problem with sewing for some reason) and my crap maths have just unravelled most of the first one from ankle to widest part of calf for the fourth time. :roll:

Praying that I have at long last got it right as I have a list of clothes to make as long as your arm both C15th and C16th.

Soph :D

Annis
Post Knight

Post by Annis »

Costume-wise, it took me a week and 3 days to make my gentry shift.

I still have broidary and a patchwork cushion I started MANY years ago and still have not finished them!

It took my mum 2 years to make the curtains in our living room - she started them in 2005 a few weeks before I was accepted for Kentwell...

Annis x
"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Shadowcat
Post Centurion

Post by Shadowcat »

We moved into this house in 1981, put up curtains, and I pinned them to the right length. They still haven't been sewn.....................

S.

Scottish Lady

Post by Scottish Lady »

You've just reminded me about my bedroom curtains...mind you it's only 3 years they've been pinned up here, (plus 2 years at the last house)! Glad it's not just me.
Scottish Lady/The 'Meenister'

ViscontesseD'Asbeau

Post by ViscontesseD'Asbeau »

Ah Sophia I'm also doing some Gunnister-ish stockings, using the pattern as described by the knitting bishop. Mine are doing OK - just turning the second heel (like a moron I wrote down what I did as I went along for first leg and promptly lost it so have had to figure out second one by looking at first as had to modify the decreases towards the ankle, and chart the clock pattern...) :lol: Had to re-do the chart, too. I bet the day I finish the stocking, will find the lost scrawlings and chart! Am going to do a coarser version next time with handspun and will then have to re-jig the pattern... (just happened to have some millspun natural coloured Shetland that knitted up at the identical gauge to Gunnister, so didn't need to figure much out this first time).

But anyway, tiddling around with a blackwork coif simultaneous with the stockings is why the stays are taking forever.... Knitting always seems to move faster for me but probably because I can do it and watch TV, whereas you have to pay attention to sew!

Wish I was one of those focused people who worked on one thing at a time, but my brain doesn't work that way... Am sure if three months back had made the coif, then the stockings, then the stays two of the three would be complete instead of 3 unfinished projects.
:D

Dave B
Post Knight

Post by Dave B »

My Jack took about 4 years.

Every year I'd have a fit of enthusiasm and start working on it about a week before the start of the season, then get something wrong, and put it away in disgust. it would then languish for the season (because it seems I do nothing else in the season but work, re-enact, pack for events and unpack from events)

When I finished it I had gained two or three stone since starting and it is uncomfortably tight, but I still wear it.

In all I probably only spent 30 hours on it, but it must have taken 4 years start to finish. Do I win a prize?

Dave
Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

Wish I was one of those focused people who worked on one thing at a time, but my brain doesn't work that way...
keep trying to explain that to Nige, but he just doesn't get it.
Knitting always seems to move faster for me but probably because I can do it and watch TV, whereas you have to pay attention to sew!
s'why I'm sooo glad I inherited my Nana's 'multi task' mind - cos I can sew and watch tv, and concentrate on both (she used to read and watch telly at the same time, and always knew exactly what was happening in both book and tv show).
Knitting on the other hand.....no, not a knitting person....
In all I probably only spent 30 hours on it, but it must have taken 4 years start to finish. Do I win a prize?
Nope - 4 years is mere seconds compared to some of the others :wink:
"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy

Sophia
Post Centurion

Post by Sophia »

VdA - being Tudor my knitted hose are very plain (only middle class), no clocks or anything. I am using Donna Kenton's instructions which were recommended to me by Ruth the Kentwell knitting guru who is writing her phd on historic knitting.

Tuppence - I multi-task for everything though do find that I max out at 2 jobs if I have to concentrate seriously. Currently have any number of jobs on the go, wouldn't be right if I didn't. I have also found over the years that multiple jobs mean that I am more likely to get things finished. if I try and limit myself to a single job I just end up doing nothing.

Soph :D
aka Thomasin Chedzoy, Tailor at Kentwell Hall

Annis
Post Knight

Post by Annis »

Talking about many jobs, I have a list of sewing to get done by the 3rd Dec. (when I should be going to London to get more fabric for the rest of my kit). I was planning to start this week, but have been working late so I haven't got round to it! So this weekend I want to have made the bias binding so I can finish off doing the blackwork for the 2nd shift and on Sunday I want to change the collar on the 1st shift so I can start another wrist ruff (I'm going to use the old collar as the wrist band - nice and economical! :wink: )
"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

Tuppence
Post Knight

Post by Tuppence »

bias binding!!

tsk!
Miss Piggy

kate/bob

Post by kate/bob »

I think my Gran should get the prize actually. She started embroidering a table cloth when she went into hospital to have my mum and finished it when my mum was in her early fifties! So really less than a year for my stays isn't too bad