Decent Medieval Hose

Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Decent Medieval Hose

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:13 pm

Are there any traders that can make me a high quality pair of footed late 15th century joined woolen hose with codpiece and feet in, possibly with leather soles and pointy toes? They would probably need to be taylored to my leg, so I'm anticipating needing a fitting session.

The tart in me is calling :D

Please let me know!

Ta

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:07 pm

Ms Lough, who posts here as Tuppence- very highly recommended for all clobber.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

Tuppence
Post Knight

Postby Tuppence » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:09 pm

thankyou :D

was pinning cloth round somebody only last weekend...

"What a lovely hat! But may I make one teensy suggestion? If it blows off, don't chase it."
Miss Piggy
RIP Edward the avatar cat.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Exemplary service deserves recogntion and promotion :)

Jim

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:21 pm

Tuppence wrote:thankyou :D

was pinning cloth round somebody only last weekend...

Excellent...What's the name of your stall and will you be at Tintagel / Bodelwyddan? Can you measure me up and how much is it likely to cost?

Cheers!

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:42 pm

Neither I am afraid

for a taster

http://www.deborahloughcostumes.com

chose the site

we will be at TORM

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Chrissie Hirzel fantastic fully fitted bespoke hose. She will be at Herstmenceaux but if you would like to inspect her work they will be on Ming's legs on the Shadowlight Stall at Bodelwyddan and I can give you her full contact details then or pm me.

These are hand sew and fitted so well that he can even do the splits in them - mind you he also enjoyed the fittings -apart from being watched by mops as she worked on the in the living history area. :shock:

She doesn't trade from the market they are always in the living history part - her partner Glennan is a walking advertisement for her work.

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:08 am

Cheers, PM sent!

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:44 pm

Yer just after having yer legs felt up for free so you are ya dirty old man.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Jim

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:51 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Yer just after having yer legs felt up for free so you are ya dirty old man.

Damn, rumbled. :wink:

Laffin Jon Terris

Postby Laffin Jon Terris » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:13 pm

I too am interested in having my legs felt (or preferably wooled) where might I find Ms Hirzel at Herstmonceaux please?

Knowing is only half the battle.

tonw

Postby tonw » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:50 am

I've found that buying hoes from even the most reputed costumers has ended in tears

being a late 15th century bod I should be in jointed hoes for my station but wear split one for cost

I simply can't afford £70 for 2 - shows (not seasons shows)

Thankfully though I'm in a position where my better half can make and repair me some jointed ones, hopefully they will be finished by blore (then I'll be able to test them to destruction (if they last one event thats 50% of the normal life done)

--
You are never too old to storm a bouncy castle!

Don't poke angry people!!

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:48 pm

Hi Chrissie will be found in the lving history village - but if you pop by the Shadowlight stall Ming, no doubt will have also found her ( she needs to finish his second pair and needs delicate gusset measurements :shock: ) and will give you directions.

We could even arrange a time where she will be with us at the Shadowlight Stall if there are enough takers

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Wayland2002

Postby Wayland2002 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:02 pm

Black Swan do very good hose, mine are nearly at the end of their 3rd season and are only now beginning to show some wear on the heel.

Laffin Jon Terris

Postby Laffin Jon Terris » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Yes, I know others who swear by their black swan hose but they seem a little baggy around the behind and I'm told I have such nice buttocks!

(By my wife, who is stark, raving mad!)

Knowing is only half the battle.

Thomas Hayman

Postby Thomas Hayman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Also swear by black swan hose, mine are a little over two years old and have a small hole in the toe. They also fit very well, as people often comment.

www.historicenterprises.com

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:21 am

LJT - baggy *rse is fine, as long as you aint posh, by baggy I mean loose-ish.

THE Key to good hose is fitting around the 'curry-shute', I know this from experience, no mater how tight and 'up the chuff' you think the hose are (whilst fitting) they could be higher and a better result all round.

There must have bene a way or whatever as hose were as much an off hte peg item as a personally fitted thing....

Clue - use tight jeans as a means of getting the curry shute thinkg resolved.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Drachelis

Postby Drachelis » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:22 pm

Mmm............ tight bum is a feature of Chrissie's hose - so I have eye candy whereever I go :D

Well I really do still fancy my husband after 11 years

Cherry
Shadowlight Designs

Cat
Post Centurion

Postby Cat » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:00 pm

Both of the pairs of black Swan ones that me and his knibbs have fit well around the curry department...not baggy at all. And (whispers) for ease of female pissing mine are worn with fake points to the doublet as 'magic' hose. And still aren't baggy. Although I don't have a scrawny *rse, and nor does he. Maybe that's the secret, *rse implants.

http://www.blood.co.uk. You get biscuits and everything.
A'Stanley A'Stanley!

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Cat wrote:Both of the pairs of black Swan ones that me and his knibbs have fit well around the curry department...not baggy at all. And (whispers) for ease of female pissing mine are worn with fake points to the doublet as 'magic' hose. And still aren't baggy. Although I don't have a scrawny *rse, and nor does he. Maybe that's the secret, *rse implants.

Hi Cat, any idea how I can contact Black Swan?

Cheers! :D

www.cybalism.org - The new view of the Universal Truth

Jim

Postby Jim » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:48 pm

Thomas Hayman wrote:www.historicenterprises.com

Thanks, looks groovy!

grahamp

Postby grahamp » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:24 pm

Jim,
I have a pair of footed black, Black Swan joined hose. I bought them 5 years ago and are still going strong apart from a few small holes which have been stitched up. I have worn them a good many times at training plus every event I've attended for the past 5 years. I found that they fitted nice & tightly and only get a very slight baggyness towards the end of a weekends's event ie wearing for 48hrs constantly (yes I have slept in them as well) but nowhere near as baggy as some people's hose who've only just put them on.
I have another pair of hose made for me but these do not fit anywhere near as nice.
Also a tip, wear socks inside black footed hose if you can. I didn't and found the black dye used to come out with the wear & sweat in boots & dye my toenails black after every event.
When these hose finally become unrepairable, I shall be buying another pair. Yes, they aren't cheap, but then items of quality within reenactment never are....
Historic Enterprises are usually at the NLHF in October.

nihil amanti durum

Vira Chalich Tabor!!!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:55 pm

Erm baggy at the back, not underneath, ie not snug fitted artound the waist, look at working men and their hose are often wider/looser (baggier) at the back.

baggy under the cruthc (that one is for Alys) is asking for rippage.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:47 pm

I saw this thread at the time and thought 'I know, once christmas is out of the way, I'll try a pair of those black swan hose'

So I've just been to have a shufti at the website. the hose are $134, which is about £70 I figured as so many people have rated them highly that was OK. However once you have typed in all the tedious stuff, it says shipping will be $114.

Seems pretty high, and puts the cost of a pair of hose at the thick end of 130 pounds. What have other people paid on deliveries from Historic Enterprises?

(PS I ordered some 17thC pirate stuff from the states the other day and paid $30 to ship some pants and a shirt)

Find time in every day to look at your life and say; 'Well, it could be worse'

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Jim

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:57 pm

Dave B wrote:I saw this thread at the time and thought 'I know, once christmas is out of the way, I'll try a pair of those black swan hose'

So I've just been to have a shufti at the website. the hose are $134, which is about £70 I figured as so many people have rated them highly that was OK. However once you have typed in all the tedious stuff, it says shipping will be $114.

Seems pretty high, and puts the cost of a pair of hose at the thick end of 130 pounds. What have other people paid on deliveries from Historic Enterprises?

(PS I ordered some 17thC pirate stuff from the states the other day and paid $30 to ship some pants and a shirt)

I know, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I asked them if they could bring my order to the next UK market they'd be at, but was told they couldn't bring orders over because of some weight allowance on the plane or something like that.

I'll just have to hope they have the colour and size I want on their stall, I suppose. I agree the shipping is incredibly expensive considering the size and weight of the package.

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Postby Phil the Grips » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Plus you'll pay VAT and tax most likely when they do arrive which cna near double th ecosy in POUNDS!

I used to have an American "kit smuggler" but the cad has decided to settle in Paris for a while otherwise I'd have got an order together for folk-by the time 10 folk combine their P+P he can get a return flight from the US!

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:43 pm

For clothes etc its 12% import tax, plus 17.5% vat plus the flat rate clearing fee, normaly about £10. so yes. the hose would probably cost

$134 for the hose = £69
$114 for shipping = £58
30% taxes = £20
Clearing fee approx £10

so the £70 pair of hose come out at perhaps £157

I think the expression is 'not going to happen' I don't mind paying for good kit but thats daft.

Any other suggestions appart from waiting to see if they have my size in at the fair?

Dave

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Zachos

Postby Zachos » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:50 pm

Having them made in england?

Slowly realizing just how far is still to go.

Dave B
Post Knight

Postby Dave B » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:20 pm

Yep. What I would really like is a reccomendation for someone who can do me some really good tight stretchy hose.

Without too much groping.

However everyone seems to be raving about how very stretchy these american ones are, made out of boiled jersey. If I can find UK ones as good then I'm laughing. Alternatively I may get some new high legged split hose for this year, I dunno.

Dave

Kurt's uncle Bob.

Return to “Costumes”