Making, Pictures, Queries, Resources

Moderator: Moderators

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:48 pm

Oh thank you Penny, I wouldn't like to use the wrong thing! :wink:

Penny Robinson

Postby Penny Robinson » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:54 pm

That's what I thought :D
Although- embroidery silks are nice and cheap for practicing with of course. :wink:

Jenn R

Postby Jenn R » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:02 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :D

Oh yes, practicing.....I must do some! :wink:

Gracie Tyller

Braids

Postby Gracie Tyller » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:23 pm

Penny Robinson wrote:I have a couple of Gracie's braids and they are fantastic. I have put in an order for a nice hand dyed silk one now and even though I told her there's no rush as it's for next season- I want it now!!!! :D :wink:

OK Penny, I've just spent my entire Xmas holiday dying and weaving your silk braid so I'll put it in the post this week for you.

It is better to give than to lend and it costs about the same!

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:56 pm

I saw some fantastic linen straps at the Black Knight event in Norfolk this year, the linen one was strong enough to hang a donkey from, I reckon.

My little pen case has my one and only example of finger-loop braiding that I did years abck and I still wonder how I managed it....

Wonderful stuff, very therapeutic I recall.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

Penny Robinson

Re: Braids

Postby Penny Robinson » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:21 pm

OK Penny, I've just spent my entire Xmas holiday dying and weaving your silk braid so I'll put it in the post this week for you.[/quote]

Hi Gracie, that's excellent!! Can't wait to see it now!!
I'd feel guilty about keeping you busy over the hols if it wasn't for the fact that I know you were glad of it :wink: :D

Penny Robinson

Postby Penny Robinson » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:07 am

Oooohh!! Just received my belt from Gracie- it's beautiful!! I can't imagine how you managed to get the two tone effect with only one colour! It's really lovely- thank you so much.
If anyone is thinking about getting a good quality belt or some braiding done- I wouldn't hesitate to say get in touch with Gracie. It really is money well spent as far as I am concerned :D
Only problem now is having to wait to show it off!

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:18 pm

I managed to make some lovely woollen tudor type braid using my own hand made version of a tablet loom...i was rather proud of myself!

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

frances
Post Knight
Location: Slaving over redoing the website: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/createthemood/

Postby frances » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:01 pm

So where are the pics of all these luverly braids?

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:23 pm

I'm afraid I haven't any pictures of my 'lurvely' braid!

Miel

Postby Miel » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:38 am

Zauberdachs - sorry if you have already sorted you braid requirement out but I have only just latched on to this thread....missed it somehow.

We are Excalibur Artifacts (Miel and TJ) that Malley mentioned back in the thread a little. We sell both finished braid and looms/equipment to make braid.

Our ready made stuff comes in all qualities from rough hand spun wool to the finest silks and goes through cotton, wool, linen, and even hemp.
It's not cheap but it is good and hand made and starts from £10 yard.

We can sell you an Inkle loom or a Tape (box) loom both of which can be used to make braid, the Inkle being more flexible and able to weave wider braids more qickly.

Both kinds of loom can be used for Heddle or tablet weaving. Heddle weaving you can learn in five minutes and take a lifetime getting better at. Tablet weaving takes a lifetime to learn and another lifetime working out all the possible patterns (I might have exagerated that just a little but I'm sure you get the idea).

We can help teach you to weave using both methods and supply you with all the other kit you might need such as beaters and shuttles.

Lots of people start with just a heddle and beater and tie the warp threads to their waist at one end and a tree or chair (anything handy) at the other end.

We will be at David Smiths NLHF at the Warwick Exhibition Centre in February if you would like to come and see us, or, PM us if you want to talk further.

Miel (pronounced "Mile")
"Well again and back with a vengence"

dragonskie2000

Postby dragonskie2000 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi, I'm new so sorry for jumping in...

I go to this site for TW - http://www.beggars-workshop.co.uk

mind you lot more expensive than many posted here.

Devers do good silk, plus they sell in bulk. :)

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:09 am

I'm also good at making finger braid and lucetting! I've got tonnes of it at home! (honestly, the basket i take to kentwell is full of it!!) :lol:

Annis x

zauberdachs
Post Centurion

Postby zauberdachs » Tue May 09, 2006 7:40 pm

bump!

Can anyone give me an idea of the history of braiding? I've seen lots of photos of dark age types with braid edging but very few medieval or early modern? Can anyone illuminate me?

cheers

Do not be loath, diligent reader, to winnow my chaff, and lay up the wheat in the storehouse of your memory. For truth regards not who is the speaker, nor in what manner it is spoken, but that the thing be true - Nennius, 8th century

gregory23b
Absolute Wizard

Postby gregory23b » Tue May 09, 2006 10:01 pm

A timely request

Elizabeth Benns and Gina Barrett have a new book out Tak V Bowes Departed:

http://takvbowes.et-tu.com/

on finger braiding mainly but some are flat. A great book.

middle english dictionary

Isabela on G23b "...somehow more approachable in real life"

http://medievalcolours.blogspot.com

"I know my place." Alice the Huswyf

GinaB

Postby GinaB » Mon May 15, 2006 12:22 am

I seemed to have missed this post...

Can anyone give me an idea of the history of braiding? I've seen lots of photos of dark age types with braid edging but very few medieval or early modern? Can anyone illuminate me?

As with any period, fashion dictates what - if any - decorative trim is used as edging. The first thing to do is to look at costume sources for your chosen period. If there aren't trims used, then it is probably simply going through an unfashionable stage. (You'll find that ecclesastical and ceremonial items usually are trimmed regardless of fashion). Then you can begin to look at what types of trim were fashionable at that period (design, technique, etc). It is a vast subject, and certain types of trim have also gone in and out of fashion - likewise, the actual designs on the trim have changed.

Ribbon weaving (later called inkle weaving), tablet weaving, braids using many types of techniques, as well as embroidery can be used.

You might like to visit the Soper Lane website http://www.soper-lane.co.uk, where many types of ribbons and braids are discussed. Although we tend towards 15th century, discussions often cover other periods.

Return to “Costumes”