The Loxwood Joust

To announce events, ask for event information and general event management.

Moderator: Moderators

The Peddler

The Loxwood Joust

Postby The Peddler » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:03 am

When booking in groups for an event I usually allow for about a 20% dropout rate as that seems to cover last minute problems with transport, health etc. At Loxwood this year on the first weekend we had a 42% last minute dropout of fighters for the battlefield. The battle went ahead with around 50 per side, we rearranged the battle plan at the Captains meeting from a two rank formation to a single rank and the public probably didn't notice, but there were gaps in the encampments and it was a shame that none of those individuals or groups that didn't turn up thought to at least text me and let me know, I could have rearranged things even if I'd had one days notice. After a quick look at Facebook I found at least one household was abroad on holiday at the time!
No-shows are a part of running an event, but you would think booking ten tents and bringing four might warrant a mention, let alone not showing at all when everything was confirmed in the week before the event.
Loxwood was a great weekend for the LH camp, relaxed and with plenty of opportunity for a scrap but lets hope the second weekend doesn't suffer the same fate.
If you fancy a bash in Sussex on the 8/9 August then drop me a line at stevenernestpayne@btinternet.com

acecat999
Post Centurion

Re: The Loxwood Joust

Postby acecat999 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:18 am

Had you a contract of employment with these people? Had they agreed to provide services in return for payment however small?

I bet the groups you were paying all turned up.

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

The Peddler

Postby The Peddler » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:23 am

No, these were re-enactor households just doing their hobby, just like at Tewkesbury, Herstmonceux, Glastonbury, Arundel etc....but it's an idea for the future.

Swiper

Postby Swiper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:09 pm

Classic Maxim.

If you pay peanuts get monkeys.

Its people's weekend, they want to have a nice time, bit like herding cats often enough.

A form of financial recompense/formal arrangement limits the chance that Timmy will fail the organisers are taking the proverbial. Making attendance far more attractive.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:24 pm

I see it is on again this year and I might even be able to go one weekend. What reenactment groups are playing this time? Is there an archery comp?

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:54 pm

There was an archery competition last year, very civilized one, my lad is hoping for another this year.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

John Waller
Post Knight

Postby John Waller » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:57 pm

I've been out of the medieval scene for a few years and was wondering if I could go along to play. I recall some talk of 'independents' possibly being allowed. Not sure if my old Fed group supports this event.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

lucy the tudor
Post Knight

Postby lucy the tudor » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:47 pm

Probably safest to contact the organizers direct then, as insurance always needs to be sorted for these do's.

lucythetudor@gmail.com

a filthy, arse-grabbing strumpet, masquerading as a demure two-door lady.

The Peddler

Postby The Peddler » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:32 pm

John Waller, if you contact me at
Stevenernestpayne@btinternet.com
Then I can talk to you about this......

Return to “Event Announcements”