Masters and Servants in Tudor England by Alison Sim

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Annis
Post Knight

Masters and Servants in Tudor England by Alison Sim

Postby Annis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:54 pm

I got it for Christmas :D and, personally, I think it is brilliant and I'm only on the 3rd chapter.

Discuss!

Now, I thought there was only an upper class and working class and the others were just the middling sort. The book told me that there were no such things as classes...then i realised why, because there wasn't any CAPITALISM! (why i didn't realise this before i don't know)

Annis x

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

lidimy
Post Knight

Postby lidimy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:18 pm

that's a sweeping statement, annis! maybe not capitalism in the rather more raw form we see nowadays, but remember that any form of advertising for a privately owned company is capitalism; its personal gain. sounds like a great book though - i still want 'a tudor housewife' or whatever it was called by alison sim. well, its my birthday coming up :D
lidi :D

'As long as you have a coif on, you're decent.' Image

Annis
Post Knight

Postby Annis » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:01 pm

Ah! but capitalism did not enter society until the industrial revolution did, before all that, it was feudalism. Status was based on the job you did.

Alison Sim has written 4 or 5 books, have a search on Amazon, they all sound rather interesting.

"They call me 'quiet girl', but I'm a riot"

myladyswardrobe

Postby myladyswardrobe » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:02 pm

Ah! but capitalism did not enter society until the industrial revolution did, before all that, it was feudalism. Status was based on the job you did.

Hi Annis,

I would be VERY careful with quoting from Alison Sim. I shan't go onto the whys and wherefores now.

You are right, captialism doesn't really exist until the Industrial period, BUT feudalism died out a natural death in England thanks to the Black Death in the 14th century. Supply and Demand (basic economics) started because there weren't enough "workers" to work the land. This meant that if a lord/noble/peer didn't look after their workers, then those workers could leave and find work elsewhere.

Feudalism did continue to exist in France and this then led eventually to the French Revolution.

Take care

Bess.

Gentry/Tailor/Needlelace Maker - Kentwell.
www.myladyswardrobe.com

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”