Richard Greene's Robin Hood

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Ellen Gethin

Richard Greene's Robin Hood

Postby Ellen Gethin » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:06 pm

I recently got the DVDs of the first and second series of this classic series, and I've been slightly surprised at how good it actually is.

Okay, the song is cheesy (and the verse is even worse than the chorus!), and the sets are obviously three bushes in a studio half the time.
The tunics are all very short, and they all wore tights and little suede boots.
Derwent the outlaw is also the Sheriff's monk secretary and the landlord of the Blue Boar - but it was 1956, and no-one expected them to be watched back to back in the future.

Good points - early performances by Paul Eddington (who got upgraded from Second Peasant to the evil Count Duprez), Sid James (Henry the Moneyer) and others.
For my money, too, Alexander Guage was the best Friar Tuck ever - wonderfully gluttonous, but also with a strong moral integrity that was forever putting him up against the Sheriff.
The Sheriff's black studded gloves - just to show how really evil he is.
And, what can I say? I fancied Richard Greene when I was a kid, and he's still quite fanciable now.

And then there's a lot of real history worked into the dialogue, too. For instance, who remembers that Avis of Gloucester was Prince John's first wife? But there she is, glad to be rid of him when little Isabelle of Angouleme turns up with an outrageous French accent (and Prince John was Donald Pleasance!)
There's another episode, where the Reeve of the village wants to marry a young widow - so he enforces every medieval law he can think of to impoverish her so she will accept him, such as confiscating her quern stone when she grinds her own flour instead of using the lord's mill - all real laws.

so, lets hear it for Richard Greene, one of the best Robin Hoods ever!

"Take wrong turns, talk to strangers, open unmarked doors. And if you see a group of people in a field, go find out what they're doing."
JimmyB27, absolutewrite

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”