The Wars of Atlantis

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

The Wars of Atlantis

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Phil Masters. Osprey Adventures isbn 978-1-4728-0932-2, 2015. Illustration by Jose Pena and Rocio Pinar.
Following the same theme as their War of the Worlds, namely that there really was a Atlantis and that the history of the island and its part in Greek myth was actually also factual this explores the armies, organization and tactics of the mythical nations of Atlantis, the Amazons, Gorgones, Shemsu Hor (the pre-Pharonic priestly rulers of Egypt) and proto-Athenian Greeks. The book then follows the rise, expansion and collapse of the Atlantean empire along with the legendary destruction of the island.
I enjoyed this as a concept but didn't feel it worked as well as the War of the Worlds. That may be because I don't know as much about the period it covers. A fun enough read.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Melissa Cooke

Re: The Wars of Atlantis

Postby Melissa Cooke » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:31 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Phil Masters. Osprey Adventures isbn 978-1-4728-0932-2, 2015. Illustration by Jose Pena and Rocio Pinar.
Following the same theme as their War of the Worlds, namely that there really was a Atlantis and that the history of the island and its part in Greek myth was actually also factual this explores the armies, organization and tactics of the mythical nations of Atlantis, the Amazons, Gorgones, Shemsu Hor (the pre-Pharonic priestly rulers of Egypt) and proto-Athenian Greeks. The book then follows the rise, expansion and collapse of the Atlantean empire along with the legendary destruction of the island.
I enjoyed this as a concept but didn't feel it worked as well as the War of the Worlds. That may be because I don't know as much about the period it covers. A fun enough read.

I was always interested in history of the Atlantean empire and especially in some facts of island's destruction. This topic is amazing!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”