Need help tracing 70's Historical TV series

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Wulfgar Skald

Need help tracing 70's Historical TV series

Postby Wulfgar Skald » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:11 am

I am searching for a TV documentary series from the 70's about early Britain. I recall the title being 'The Dawn of Britain' but maybe mistaken. The host was a wild haired older gent, a professor type.
The show commenced each episode with a pile of hay burning in a field.
I particularily recall that they recreated a Roman ballista and fired it (impressive) and the old Professor making bronze arrow heads in a small forge.
Quite ground breaking in that early reenactment style.
Maybe BBC?
Any other old timers remember it?
May have shown around the same time as 'Arthur of the Britons'

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: Need help tracing 70's Historical TV series

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:25 pm

Wulfgar Skald wrote:I am searching for a TV documentary series from the 70's about early Britain. I recall the title being 'The Dawn of Britain' but maybe mistaken. The host was a wild haired older gent, a professor type. The show commenced each episode with a pile of hay burning in a field. I particularily recall that they recreated a Roman ballista and fired it (impressive) and the old Professor making bronze arrow heads in a small forge. Quite ground breaking in that early reenactment style. Maybe BBC? Any other old timers remember it?

"Arthur of the Britons" was screened on HTV in 1972/1973 and then constantly shown again by the other ITV regions until at least 1989. Using the BBC Genome project (which is aimed at digitising the Radio Times) no programme called "The Dawn of Britain" can be found.

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Henri De Ceredigion wrote:
Wulfgar Skald wrote:I am searching for a TV documentary series from the 70's about early Britain. I recall the title being 'The Dawn of Britain' but maybe mistaken. The host was a wild haired older gent, a professor type. The show commenced each episode with a pile of hay burning in a field. I particularily recall that they recreated a Roman ballista and fired it (impressive) and the old Professor making bronze arrow heads in a small forge. Quite ground breaking in that early reenactment style. Maybe BBC? Any other old timers remember it?

"Arthur of the Britons" was screened on HTV in 1972/1973 and then constantly shown again by the other ITV regions until at least 1989. Using the BBC Genome project (which is aimed at digitising the Radio Times) no programme called "The Dawn of Britain" can be found.

Arthur of the Britons seems to have been a drama rather than a documentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_of_the_Britons

Wulfgar Skald

Postby Wulfgar Skald » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:16 am

Thanks for the replies. I purchased Arthur of the Britons a few years ago, was terrific to see it again.
This one I am looking for was definitely a documentart series about Iron and Bronze age Briton and was certainly an early living history style show.
Might have even been quite short in length each time.
Dawn of Britain is the name stuck in my head but could be very different title. Was watching it in Brisbane c1976. Definitely British show.

Merlon.
Post Centurion

Postby Merlon. » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:22 am

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”