Bad History

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Bad History

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Emma Marriott, MOM books ltd., 2011, isbn 978-1-84317-617-6.
A fantastic but somewhat upsetting book which explores and disproves so many perceived historical truths. Such as Francis Drake destroyed the Armada, Britain was an integrated part of the Roman Empire, the USA did not contribute to the Allied victory in WWI, etc.
The sad thing is that almost everything in the book is still being taught as an accepted historical truth in primary and secondary schools.
Personally I would like to add a chapter for WOTR that would explain that not everyone with a crossbow is a Genoese mercenary and not only Burgundy used cannons.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Henri De Ceredigion

Re: Bad History

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:27 am

Marcus Woodhouse wrote:Emma Marriott, MOM books ltd., 2011, isbn 978-1-84317-617-6.
A fantastic but somewhat upsetting book which explores and disproves so many perceived historical truths. Such as Francis Drake destroyed the Armada, Britain was an integrated part of the Roman Empire, the USA did not contribute to the Allied victory in WWI, etc.
The sad thing is that almost everything in the book is still being taught as an accepted historical truth in primary and secondary schools.
Personally I would like to add a chapter for WOTR that would explain that not everyone with a crossbow is a Genoese mercenary and not only Burgundy used cannons.

Well, it cannot be much worse than "Drunk History" on Comedy Central. Give me "Horrible Histories" any day of the week, personally

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”