Going Medieval

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Brother Kevfael

Going Medieval

Postby Brother Kevfael » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:56 am

Never trust anything in which the presenter (Mike Loades) claims that everything in the documentary is "100% Authentic".

I'll keep my comments to the subject I know most about, (Medicine and Surgery), but to keep it subtle: Drivel. According to the "expert on Medieval Medicine and Surgery", (I won't name and shame: you know who you are):

Bleeding with leeches was the only cure available from doctors, (Really? so a commoner could afford to see a Doctor? No other cures available or other practitioners?) :roll:

And apparently plague docrors in their distinctive costumes, (beaked mask etc) were around in the 14th century during the black death. There is no evidence for them during this period. They didn't appear until the 17th Century, and then only in Europe. :roll:

All this documentary does is, (in my own area of interest admittedly), is to reinforce the myths and falsehoods that abound. And with the amount of evidence available surely this is unacceptable.

steven pole
Post Centurion

Re: Going Medieval

Postby steven pole » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 am

I have often wondered about that. Quite a few groups have one of these "Plague Masks" and talk about the plague and yet no evidence of the mask being around.
I found a good link: http://thechirurgeonsapprentice.com/2012/03/13/behind-the-mask-the-plague-doctor/

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Brother Kevfael wrote:Never trust anything in which the presenter (Mike Loades) claims that everything in the documentary is "100% Authentic".

I'll keep my comments to the subject I know most about, (Medicine and Surgery), but to keep it subtle: Drivel. According to the "expert on Medieval Medicine and Surgery", (I won't name and shame: you know who you are):

Bleeding with leeches was the only cure available from doctors, (Really? so a commoner could afford to see a Doctor? No other cures available or other practitioners?) :roll:

And apparently plague docrors in their distinctive costumes, (beaked mask etc) were around in the 14th century during the black death. There is no evidence for them during this period. They didn't appear until the 17th Century, and then only in Europe. :roll:

All this documentary does is, (in my own area of interest admittedly), is to reinforce the myths and falsehoods that abound. And with the amount of evidence available surely this is unacceptable.

Has this been broadcast (as I cannot see it on either my on demand services or my EPG for the next week)?

Brother Kevfael

Postby Brother Kevfael » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:26 pm

I had it off amazon. Apparently it was on the history channel:

http://www.history.co.uk/shows/going-medieval

Brother Kevfael

Postby Brother Kevfael » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:30 pm

Steven Pole wrote:
I have often wondered about that. Quite a few groups have one of these "Plague Masks" and talk about the plague and yet no evidence of the mask being around.

What? You mean there are reenactors who just copy pictures and don't do any research or read the text!! An absolute disgrace, sir,I tell you! A disgrace! :crazy:

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 pm

I believe that Mike Loades is an anagram of talks out the hole of his *rse.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”