The Musketeers BBC

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

ladydetemps

The Musketeers BBC

Postby ladydetemps » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:20 am

Tell me I'm not going mad and that the costumes were from the wrong decade? IT was 1630 on screen...but I thought those dresses were from the 1700s?

Phil the Grips
Absolute Wizard

Re: The Musketeers BBC

Postby Phil the Grips » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:25 am

Doesn't really matter cos it's not history, it's a story set in history much like Shakespeare's stories.

It's a C21st telling of a C19th story loosely set in the C17th, originally written by a man who was happy to churn out stuff for the most amount of cash for the lowest amount of effort aimed at the lowest common denominator; he'd be delighted with it.

--Angels also carry weapons--
http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 am

Phil the Grips wrote:Doesn't really matter cos it's not history, it's a story set in history much like Shakespeare's stories.

It's a C21st telling of a C19th story loosely set in the C17th, originally written by a man who was happy to churn out stuff for the most amount of cash for the lowest amount of effort aimed at the lowest common denominator; he'd be delighted with it.

I quite like the books...man in the iron mask is my fave of the musketeers stories (in print) I've never found the tv/film adaptations lived up to the books. imo. I think he was a bit of a fan fic writer that dumas....lol

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:32 pm

I must admit when I watched it last night I was having a hard time working out how we had gone from traditional clothing

to rather on the colourful side

to, and I am being polite, anything that could be found in any modern day shop

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:55 pm

I'm not a fan of that era of history, but I just thought it was cack.

Crap script. Like 'Merlin' for grown ups, it of eye candy for the ladies. Nah, pass.

Type16
Location: ........................... Wherever the Marcher Freemen go!! www.marcherfreemen.org.uk

Postby Type16 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Miss Costello wrote:I'm not a fan of that era of history, but I just thought it was cack.

Crap script. Like 'Merlin' for grown ups, it of eye candy for the ladies. Nah, pass.

Yep. I had hoped for something better. Robin Hood with baguettes.

Archers have a way of making their point
Walk softly & carry a big (pointy) stick

www.marcherfreemen.org.uk
www.andysherriff.co.uk ---- First Aid for Re-enactors

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Type16 wrote:
Miss Costello wrote:I'm not a fan of that era of history, but I just thought it was cack.

Yep. I had hoped for something better. Robin Hood with baguettes.

I think robin hood with baguettes kinda sums up what I was expecting. Hoping maybe it'll warm up as it goes along.
Henri De Ceredigion wrote:I must admit when I watched it last night I was having a hard time working out how we had gone from traditional clothing

to rather on the colourful side

to, and I am being polite, anything that could be found in any modern day shop

The colours used are so dull...I was hoping for glorious colourful fabrics.

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:45 pm

I think I prefer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtanian_ ... uskehounds
Dogtanian and the three muskehounds. ;)

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Oh cheers for that....now I have that cartoon earworm stuck in my head!!!!

:D

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:19 pm

Miss Costello wrote:Oh cheers for that....now I have that cartoon earworm stuck in my head!!!!

Reminds me of my childhood that does. (I liked the around the world in 80 days one they did too) ;)

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:22 pm

Not actually watched it yet but I did notice from the trails that costumes do seem to be
based on the "everyone wore lots of leather in the past" school of design.

This was the best adaptation of the story:
Attachments
Dogtanian.jpg
Last edited by Simon Atford on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:35 pm

If you post a link to Cities of Gold I really hunt you down and slap you!

Brother Kevfael

Postby Brother Kevfael » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:09 pm

I've yet to find an adaption that tops the Michael York/Oliver Reed ones of the 1970's. Two of the few films I can watch again and again. Great fun.

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:37 pm

ladydetemps wrote:I think I prefer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtanian_ ... uskehounds
Dogtanian and the three muskehounds. ;)

Absolutely, now there was something that I can really relate to (especially as I have both series on DVD!)

czartank

Postby czartank » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:36 pm

It was cack; what next? A Steampunk Great Expectations with the female characters all wearing 1940s hairstyles :roll:

On les Aura

Miss Costello
Post Knight

Postby Miss Costello » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:24 am

Funny you should mention that..... :?

acecat999
Post Centurion

Postby acecat999 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:39 am

czartank wrote:It was cack; what next? A Steampunk Great Expectations with the female characters all wearing 1940s hairstyles :roll:

more likely to be slightly first world war linked given its the flavour of the month.

perhaps a series about how the war poets were a bunch of leftie scum that stopped the jolly decent officer class from killing the hun

but filmed in south Africa using robots

everyday i can be an insignificant but unavoidable nuisance is a day well spent.

Sasha

Postby Sasha » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:38 am

Brother Kevfael wrote:I've yet to find an adaption that tops the Michael York/Oliver Reed ones of the 1970's. Two of the few films I can watch again and again. Great fun.

Recommended x100. MacDonald Fraser's scripts are absolute gems, the look is spot on and in every outside scene things are always going on in the background.

Anyway. The sets overdid the mud-u-like thing IMO though I wasn't too bothered by that. I thought that the King, Queen and pleb costumes were OK in a generic mid C17 sort of way. The main character's costumes were execrable but, meh, the artistic director has always had more clout than the historical adviser. My inner geek was annoyed by the way all the wheellocks and matchlocks had (what sounded like a C20 revolver) cocking sound effect dubbed on.

But all that aside it was a bit of rollicking good swashing of bucklers to half-watch while I did the ironing.

"We know what the world thinks of us...but, every now and then, when trouble comes knocking at the door, we're good people to know." Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst

Attilla the Bun

Postby Attilla the Bun » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:04 am

Oddly enough, I wasn't really looking at the ladies' hairstyles....

Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 pm

Attilla the Bun wrote:Oddly enough, I wasn't really looking at the ladies' hairstyles....

I suspect there is a certain amount of...distraction going on. ;)

czartank wrote:It was cack; what next? A Steampunk Great Expectations with the female characters all wearing 1940s hairstyles :roll:

Now there's an idea. lol!

It would be a great expetations set in the 1910's but with the girls wearing very short flapper dresses and bobbed hair ;)

czartank

Postby czartank » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:38 pm

It was the general sloppyness of it all that annoyed me, apart from crap costumes and hairstyles, it was the way firearms were randomly used: the King hunting with a cavalry carbine, wheel locks not being spanned before firing, that sort of thing- If they had said it was set in a mythical land that would have been Ok- still I am running with the steampunk Dickens thing- throw in a few zombies and it could really amount to something.

On les Aura

DanceswithCows

Postby DanceswithCows » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:08 pm

I can happily throw out historical accuracy for the sake of looking lush on screen and a good story, but this was just dull dull dull. I was looking forward to loving it but *yawn* cliche after cliche after cliche.

ladydetemps

Postby ladydetemps » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Looks like they threw themselves in the dressing up box and wore whatever they found again.

Nigel
Post Knight

Postby Nigel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Actually if you look behind the main characters there's a lot that is good

A lot reminds me of Wagner which given the location would make sense.

There’s a country in Europe where they treat their ex soldiers with pride no waits for medical treatment after injuries received during service, no amensia from the government. Cant for the life of me recall where it is but I know exactly where it is not.

Dathi

Postby Dathi » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:29 pm

TBH...

The acting was feeble, the plot and script was nonsense and everything else was crap......

Attilla the Bun

Postby Attilla the Bun » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:50 pm

...and still don't care!

Age and Treachery will always overcome Youth and Skill

Henri De Ceredigion

Postby Henri De Ceredigion » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:48 pm

I do not know my African history at all well (only that Africa is where we came from in the first place and was colonised all over again in the years after the New World was discovered) but I am having great problems understanding how the slave ships (that I thought were prominent in the 1750's come to be a major bone of contention in the 1640's). I can only assume it was put there to explain why Porthos is coloured?

Simon Atford
Absolute Wizard

Postby Simon Atford » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:18 pm

Slave ships started sailing in the 16th Century. Not surely what the French involvement was though.

Mark Griffin
Absolute Wizard

Postby Mark Griffin » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm

Ahem... John Blacke, Henry VIII's trumpeter, picture of, 1511. North African dancers in England 1470's... Othello was written in approx 1603 and although set in Venice he is a 'moor' its reasonable to asume he had family elsewhere, even in France. And Alexandre Dumas wasn't exactly as white as the driven snow....

I'm enjoying it. Episode 2 a bit limp, watching next 2 tonight. Capaldi not hamming it up enough in my opinion, I'd have gone into full pantomime mode if it were mine and the lack of Rochefort is something I hope they address soon.

Bit of a silly romp, that's why I liked Ripper St and its 3 locations on permanent rotation but with different clothes lines in different places. Not watching it for costume details, just a distraction. A zillion times better than The White queen which was a dull self pretentious yawn fest. At least the first 15 mins were, gave up after that.

If you complain about hairstyles, the spanning of pistols, width of baldrics and the wrong hemlines on a bodice in a work of complete fiction, even if set in a specific period, well...

I think we all have a soft spot for Robin of Sherwood? That's not riveted mail of the right cross section! And some of it is a bit thin and stilted, and there are castle not built in that century, and the cartwheels are made wrong. Not suggesting this comes close, but as a reasonably inoffensive 50 mins, its fine. Its not the finest wine, but its not that bright blue Panda pop either imho.

If you did everything real it would take 20 times longer and cost 50 times more and its no more silly than Brotherhood of the Wolf and thats FAB!

Nothing will ever live up to the Richard Lester ones, too many fabulous things all coming together at the same time although I have a soft spot (I can hear the bile rising) for the Walt Disney one as its simply a very silly bad boys drink n drugs fueled escapade. Young Guns with rapiers.

No matter how bad it might be (and the reviews are getting better) its got a 2nd series so hoorah! All for one and one for all!
Last edited by Mark Griffin on Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.griffinhistorical.com. A delicious decadent historical trifle. Thick performance jelly topped with lashings of imaginative creamy custard. You may also get a soggy event management sponge finger but it won't cost you hundreds and thousands.

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”