Medieval Monasticism

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Medieval Monasticism

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Forms of Religious Life in western Europe in the Middle Ages. (2nd edition) Prof. C. H. Lawrence, Longman Books, ISBN 0-582-01727-0 (1989)
Originally based upon notes for the research students under him this collection of essays has been one of the more useful books I have read recently. Covering monastic development from its origins in North Africa to the Brethren of the Common Life in the 14th century. It looks at the impact of the Mendicant orders and the Fighting orders as well as the conflicts with the secular church and society. Dense enough to have a real value while being easy enough for a layman such as myself to understand. The glossary of terms being especially useful, not least because the same word often held a different meaning at different periods.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Brother Ranulf
Post Centurion

Re: Medieval Monasticism

Postby Brother Ranulf » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:10 am

Thanks for that Marcus - I will add this to my wish list. Words that changed their meaning? Misericord, Matins, Lauds!

Brother Ranulf

"Patres nostri et nos hanc insulam in brevi edomuimus in brevi nostris subdidimus legibus, nostris obsequiis mancipavimus" - Walter Espec 1138

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

Re: Medieval Monasticism

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:16 pm

And others besides. You may find this a little too basic for your own needs, we're not all as clued up on this sort of thing as you are.

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”