The Battle of Tewkesbury 1471

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Marcus Woodhouse
Absolute Wizard

The Battle of Tewkesbury 1471

Postby Marcus Woodhouse » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:51 pm

A Photographic celebration of the medival festival by Nigel Byde with a foreword by Robert Hardy. 2011ISBN 978-1-85818-980-2
Finding myself at the bottom of Lake Kelmarsh meant that on Sunday I had nothing to do and so I took myself off to the TMF and along with some small items for myself (belt strap ends) and some kit for a new member of the Woodvilles I picked up this volume of photos which are mostly of the 2010 event.
Organised into sections describing the evolution of the festival, the build up to the battle, the battle re-enactment, the events around the abbey and the market/LH site.
I was very impressed with the quality and drama of the photos, especially as I must confess to being underwhelemed with the event whenever I have taken part, the only real "wang" appearing in the last section and event then on the beer tent wenches, the druids for whom it doesn'y count.
I did still wince at the people who spoil what would otherwise be very good portrayals by wearing non-period glasses, facial piercings and my favourite duct taping a ostrich feather to the back of their sallet!

OSTENDE MIHI PECUNIAM!

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”