A Victorian Christmas CD

Anything with a vague historical bent

Moderator: Moderators

Tom H

A Victorian Christmas CD

Postby Tom H » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:08 pm

I've already got a good sized collection of Christmas music from various historic periods but, having heard a couple of the songs on the Blast from the Past website, I thought I should get hold of this CD and haven't been disappointed.

A good mix of some unfamiliar songs from the period with some favourites, though these have been given some interesting twists and great arrangements - being a Cheshire lad I was also pleasantly surprised at the tune Namptwich Fair popping up at the end of The Holly and the Ivy which fits really well. There's a few nicely chosen readings in the mix too. They've handled carols like Silent Night very well without it sounding sentimental. In fact the musicianship is really good, exciting playing and lovely singing too, really well arranged. I only had one minor negative comment and that is that it could have done with a bit more detail on the sleeve notes, but I think the CD has been produced to accompany their tour, so the information may be presented at the performances. Overall, a really good CD and well worth adding to the collection even if you think you've already got plenty of Christmas tunes. The CD can be bought from http://avictorianchristmas.org/

Return to “Book, Film, TV & Music Reviews”